Chapter 8

Jayfeather's POV

Rain was pounding on the ground harder than Jayfeather had ever witnessed before. The grass was flattened to the ground and the trees were waving wildly in the wind. Angry waves lapped roughly against turned shore.

"This is crazy!" Mothwing panicked. "What if the water starts pouring in here? What if our herbs are flooded away?"

"Calm down!" Sagewhisker exclaimed. "We should just move to higher ground so then that doesn't happen!"

"I'm not going out into that storm!" Barkface argued. "I'm not a RiverClan cat! You don't mind the rain because you swim all the time like a stupid fish!"

"Barkface, do you want our herbs to wash away?" Sagewhisker meowed calmly. "If we lose our herbs, what do you expect us to do with the cats that become sick or injured?"

Barkface let out a long sigh. "Fine... I'll help move the herbs to higher ground."

"Good." Sagewhisker mewed, turning away from him and picking up a bundle of herbs.

"Someone needs to guide me to where ever we are going!" Jayfeather grumbled.

"Don't worry, Jayfeather," Mothwing piped in. "I'll help you."

Jayfeather grasped some comfrey in his jaws. Then, he slowly turned torwards the entrance of the den. Outside, the storm raged on harshly.

He sensed that a few cats were coming into the den. Jayfeather recognized the scent of Silverstream and Oakheart, two of the RiverClan warriors left on the island.

"What are you medicine cats doing?" Silverstream asked, shaking out her fur and sending droplets flying everywhere.

Sagewhisker dropped her herbs to reply. "We are moving our herbs to higher ground just in case our den floods."

"Where are you going to bring them?" Oakheart meowed.

"We are moving them to the rocks under the pine trees. Hopefully it's more dry under there. Or we could bring them into the undergrowth by the dead pine tree..."

"Where ever you are bringing them, we can help!" Silverstream mewed, bouncing on her paws a little bit.

The two RiverClan warriors grabbed some herbs and all of the cats carefully made their way out into the storm.

Mothwing was close by Jayfeather's side, guiding him along the way. The cold rain drenched Jayfeather's pelt as soon as he stepped outside and the it sent a chill through his bones.

They made their way over to the rocks under the pines. The rain eased a little bit because of the tree cover. Jayfeather carefully placed down his herbs.

"That's all of them," Sagewhisker mewed. "I feel a bit better now because we aren't in the den. The herbs won't be flooded away here."

Oakheart and Silverstream flicked their ears before hurrying back to the warriors den.

"What should we do now?" Mothwing asked, her tail flicking back and forth.

"Let's just stay here for now," Sagewhisker answered. "We wouldn't want to be washed away either, would we?"

Barkface shook out his drenched pelt, letting out a low growl. "I hate getting my pelt wet! But you were right, Sagewhisker..."

Jayfeather stopped listening. He whipped his head around and he sensed that Purdy was waddling torwards him.

"Purdy! What are you doing?" Jayfeather muttered to the old cat.

"I came to get somethin' to eat, of course!" Purdy replied.