Chapter 16

Lionblaze's POV

The next morning, Lionblaze slowly blinked open his eyes. His whole pelt was freezing cold and he found himself the last one left in the warriors den.

When he stepped outside, he was horrified to see the snowflakes falling thickly down. The last of the leaves had finally fallen off the trees and Lionblaze knew that leaf bare was here.

Cinderheart was right. This might be the snowstorm that killed the cats left on this island. Lionblaze squeezed his eyes shut, baring his teeth. He was upset that Cinderheart was dead. But Lionblaze had to admit, her being in StarClan was probably being stranded on the island.

Maybe the snowstorm was a good thing? Lionblaze shook his head. What was he thinking? It was not a good thing. If they starved, the cats of StarClan on the island would die and they would only then exist in memory.

Then, he would die. And then the prophecy would be left unanswered. However much it pained Lionblaze, he had to fight through the hunger that was coming. He had to stay alive and crack open the mystery of the prophecy.

At the same time, he wanted to be in StarClan with Cinderheart. But then, he wouldn't be able to see his kits... they would eventually die no matter what.

Lionblaze let out a confused growl. He had to address the cats to collect as much as fish as possible. They has to stock up on food before the worst of the storm hit. He did not want to see anyone starve.

He scrambled up the tall pine tree, his paws slipping a little bit on the icy bark. But Lionblaze let his claws slid out and he climbed up to the big branch like a squirrel, the wrath of the cold weather not stopping him.

Everyone looked up to Lionblaze, knowing he was going to tell them all something already. It was probably just a natural feeling now- when someone climbs the tree they have something to announce.

"Last night, I had a dream," Lionblaze began. "I saw my mate Cinderheart. She is part of StarClan now."

Out of the corner of Lionblaze's eye, he could see Heathertail narrowing her eyes at him. The snow was light enough to see around the whole clearing but through the trees he couldn't see the water like he usually could.

"She told me of a great snowstorm that threats to wipe us all out from hunger," Lionblaze meowed. "And I think that storm is already here!"

Silverstream and Oakheart exchanged a glance, probably knowing what Lionblaze was going to say next.

"We need to get as much fish as possible so we don't starve!" Lionblaze yowled. "We must all learn how to fish so we can survive through this!"

"Lionblaze..." Oakheart started. "The water is already starting to freeze."

"What?" Lionblaze couldn't believe his ears. "Is it thin enough to break through?"

"Hopefully," Oakheart replied. "Silverstream and I didn't try to break through it."

"We must start now!" Lionblaze told all the cats. "Before the ice gets any thicker!"

Oakheart motioned all the cats to follow him with his tail, and they all followed him though the snowy bushes. When Lionblaze made his way down the tree the only cat left in camp was Breezekit.

The WindClan kit was curiously watching the undergrowth where everyone disappeared.

"Can I help fish?" Breezekit asked. "I'm a good fisher!"

Lionblaze sighed. "I'm sorry, Breezekit, but you're too young. You'll-"

"I'll stay with him here." Sagewhisker meowed from behind Lionblaze, making him jump.