Chapter 19

It was finally Friday and tonight was Halloween. I had been so excited for this day ever since I had bought my costume. I was currently in art first period and I couldn't concentrate on anything the wacko teacher was saying, I was too hyper.

"Christie, this is the third time I've had to speak to you. Pay attention please or I will give you a detention." Miss Beau said before continuing her very 'artistic' drawing on the whiteboard. I pulled a face to myself and looked down at my blank piece of paper. What was I supposed to draw that was Halloween related? I didn't even know about this until Aaron told me. I looked around the classroom to see everyone scribbling away or sleeping, literally some shaggy haired dude with a serious acne problem and geeky glasses was snoring softly, poor kid. I sighed and picked my pencil up and decided to draw a pumpkin with some engravings in it.

Once I'd finished my scrappy drawing in 10 minutes I handed it into the front and checked my timetable to see I was in N14 for English. I went to collect my bag from my table and walked towards my next lesson which I was dreading because we had an assessment. The joys. I entered the classroom to see about half the class already there, George being one of those. I sat down took my seat next to my chummy.

"Hiya chum." I greeted and got my things out my bag.

"Hey." he greeted slowly, as if something was troubling him.

"What's up? You sound troubled." I asked.

"Um what? Nothing I'm fine." he said quickly and busied himself doodling in the back of his purple book. Okaaayy I thought to myself. The teacher came waltzing into the room and started handing out lined pieces of paper which our assessment would be based on.

"When you're ready you can start writing." the teacher said then sat down at her desk, writing something up on the ancient brick-style computer, the gentle click clacking of the key board. I looked down at my paper and sighed. Yup I'm screwed.

How does Susan Hill present the emotions of Arthur Kipps in The Woman In Black?

In chapter one, Christmas eve, Hill uses fear to present one of Arthur's emotions... I started to write and got into the flow of my essay.

"Pass up your papers please!" the teacher screeched making some of the class jump. I stood up and took George's paper with mine to the front.

"Thanks." he said as I returned to grab my bag and go to my next lesson.

"No problem, see you at lunch." I walked to my next lesson which was in W12 for Spanish. Mátame ahora. Just as I got out the door something clipped my shoulder and I swayed sideways a little. I turned to face a bunch of red hair. Oh no, not Maria.

"Get out of my way hoe." she said in disgust and shoved me into the wall. I let out a groaning sound and watched her retreating figure.

"Urgh moody shit." I mumbled to myself and carried on my journey to the Spanish room.

"Hola alumnos!" the teacher said. A lousy 'hola' echoed through out the room. This was the time I could catch up on my well deserved sleep, or so I thought because someone tapped on my shoulder. I looked up and saw a girl and boy, who looked like twins, I had never seen before.

"Uh can we sit here please?" she asked shyly. I nodded and moved my pencil case over to my side of the table.

"Thanks." she mumbled quietly.

"S'okay." I replied and smiled. "So I'm guessing you're one of the exchange students." I assumed as I hadn't seen them before.

"Yeh, I'm Sapphire and my twin brother Josh." she said shyly. I smiled at them both in greeting.