Chapter 39

"How many times do I have to come rescue your ass when you get into trouble. It's like you attract them all and you actually thrive for danger. Honestly Christie what would I have done if that guy had stabbed you? How many other times have you almost died? 3? Jesus, well at least I can say you definitely keep us Brown's on our toes." Aaron chuckled but went straight back to serious. He stepped closer with a sorrowful look on his face and wrapped his arms around me in a warm embrace. I sighed and hugged him back.

"I'm just glad you're ok, really." He mumbled and I nodded.

Earlier before, after locking the maniac in the library I ran quickly away from the door. Aaron was confused at first, but after explaining to him and the police what happened he suddenly became protective and angry. The police went inside the library and returned with the two men in cuffs.

The men were part of Michael Bulk's gang. They had committed many thefts all over different cities and towns but until today they had never been caught.

Aaron drove home in silence, I was waiting for him to blow up but it never happened until we reached home where he gave me a lecture for a solid hour.

The kids wouldn't admit it, but I knew they were stood behind the living room door listening in.

Now that my lecture was over and Aaron had gone upstairs for a shower, the kids jumped round the corner and started questioning me.

"You fought off robbers?"

"How many were there?"

"Did you kill any of them?"

"You should've held them captive and tortured them."

I looked at George weirdly, to which he just shrugged.

"Ooh! Did you get your nunchucks and shank them in the willy?"

"Nicki! No of course I didn't!" I was horrified by her assumptions, she was a kid! Her face fell in disappointment at my lack of violence towards the intruders.

"I will answer all your questions in a minute, first I want some food." And so I sat down eating spaghetti with them all surrounding me.

"So I look on the cameras, and I see all these dudes outside the library. Obviously I knew they were up to something sketchy, so I loaded up my double revolvers and walked outside to face the 10 of them." Nicki gasped as Katy bounced in her chair with excitement. George snickered but kept listening.

"They turned around to face me, I aimed my guns at them and said 'move and you die'. Two of them fled upon my appearance, others screamed in fright and held onto each other, their bones shaking as they feared for their life. The two leaders looked at each other indecisevely before pulling out their own guns." I paused for effect, Katy and Nicki inched forward, wanting to hear more.

"Slowly, they pulled their guns out, but I was too quick, with both guns I shot theirs down before they could fire. They screamed in agony as the bullet tore through their hands, their guns clanked to the floor." George started to mimic the tune from a wild west film as Katy and Nicki sighed in awe.

"'Leave now! Or I will kill you both' I threatened. Two more guys ran for their life, while the others watched after them, wondering if they should follow or not. The Two leaders refused to step down, even with their injured hands. I narrowed my eyes and smirked at them, fear crossed their faces and another guy in the back turned and ran. I was now down to 5, but they weren't going to give up so easily. One advanced forward to stand with his leaders, and unsheathed his weapon.

'Tell us where the gold is!' He tried to threaten, but he was shaking like a leaf in his too big boots. I laughed in his face, 'you will never find the gold, even if you kill me. It's whereabouts remains a secret, only those worthy will come across it.' He didn't back down he started to shake with rage at being denied, and he threw the knife at me. It sailed through the air, spinning as the point picked it's destination right here, my heart." I tapped the left side of my chest where my heart lay.