Chapter 36

Aaron

"Wake up Aaron!" He groaned as the small child jumped and thumped around on his bed.

"Nicki. Ugh what time is it?" He rubbed his eyes and sleepily looked at his bedside clock which read 8am.

"C'mon everyone is asleep and I need your help." Nicki whined and grabbed his hand, shaking it furiously.

"Alright, I get it. 5 minutes." He pulled the duvet sharply which sent the small child tumbling to the ground.

She shrugged and walked out of his room. He snuggled back down into the duvet, but not more than a few seconds later he could've sworn he heard tip taps across the wooden floor.

"Meeeeeoooowww." He shut his eyes tightly hoping the menacing creature was just a figure of his imagination.

"Meeeoooowww." The small lump landed at the foot of his bed and staggered towards his face.

"Go away." Aaron mumbled and pulled the sheet over his head.

The cat started kneading the duvet, it's sharp claws breaking through the cotton and wool, piercing Aaron's skin.

With a quick flick of his arm, the duvet lifted from the bed and the cat was knocked on to the floor.

It hissed and screeched loudly, but Aaron didn't care. He pulled the duvet tighter round him and lay in the cocoon he'd created.

He felt the cat jump back up on the bed lightly next to his face. A few seconds followed and the patch next to his face started to seep with liquid and a foul smelling odour.

"You didn't!" Aaron seethed and threw the duvet as far away from him as he could.

A large circle of yellow stained the white cover. The cat looked back at Aaron smugly and then wobbled out the room.

Aaron groaned and stripped his covers off, putting them in a pile to go in the wash.

With no point in trying to get back to sleep he went into his en suite to shower and then to change.

His mood had been dampened by the cat, but he was determined not to let it ruin his day. His birthday.

He jogged down the stairs and came to the kitchen. Where was Christie with one of her amazing omelettes and hot chocolate.

Surely he deserved one, it was his birthday after all.

He settled for some cereal instead and not 2 bites into it Nicki came flying down the stairs excitedly.

"C'mon! We need to go before it shuts!" She started pulling on his arm, having no effect what so ever.

"Before what shuts?" He asked and continued with his muesli.

"The pet store! Quirky needs some things." Her little hands had resorted to punching his bicep, which also had no affect.

"The pet store? It's not even 9am yet child!" Aaron exasperated.

"Please." Nicki begged with her huge puppy eyes. Aaron sighed, he couldn't say no to her.

"Ok, fine. Give me 10 minutes." He grumbled. Nicki smiled and kissed his cheek.

Aaron put his bowl in the dishwasher and then fetched his coat and shoes.

Nicki came bounding over with her big puffa coat, winter boots and gloves.

"Ready?" He asked and Nicki nodded excitedly.

They got in the car and drove to the pet shop. Nicki bounded out just as Aaron pulled up. The automatic doors slid open for her and warmth from the shop's heating embraced her.