Chapter 40

Mrs Holland froze in shock as she heard Christie's voice on the other end of the receiver.

She'd found the entrance to the gold.

Lillian smiled, she knew Christie would do it. She never doubted her.

"That's wonderful Christie! How about we take a better look tomorrow in daylight?" She suggested.

While on the other end of the phone Christie nodded eagerly. "Yes I can do that, I will just call school saying I'm sick."

Lucas harrumphed in response, the thought of his girlfriend leaving him for ancient gold should've made him more upset, but deep down he was proud of her for figuring out the pieces.

"Ok Christie, come down at 10am?" Lillian asked and Christie agreed, hanging up shortly after. Lillian smiled and hung up the phone returning to her bed. Up the stairs, a pang of discomfort floated through her chest but she ignored it, like she had been for a while now, and carried on towards her bedroom. She fell into a deep slumber with a smile on her face.

"This could be a huge scoop you know, Small town discovers BIG secret." He quoted the headline with his hands and Christie laughed.

"We'd be famous." Christie wrapped her arms around him and stared up at his beautiful face.

"You'd be famous. I did nothing." Lucas wrapped his arms round her and looked into her electric indigo eyes.

"You believed in me." She retorted and Lucas smiled. That he did.

"C'mon, let's get out of here. It's kind of scary." Lucas looked up and the canopy of leaves ahead. No wonder nobody had discovered this place, it was totally covered from all angles.

Christie pushed the branches aside, holding them spread and Lucas climbed out after her. They wandered back into the warmth and safety of the library.

"I saw a bike there recently, I wonder who's it is?" Christie went back over to the file and flicked through. She remembered one page mentioning a bike but didn't necessarily pay attention to it, maybe she should have.

She found the page and red the description.

'Daughter of deceased Sally Hunter chains bike to tree in memorium' she read. That must've been Mrs Holland's great grandmother who was killed by bandits.

The next day Christie met Mrs Holland at the library along with Mel and David -her boyfriend- and some of his work acquaintances.

"So the plan is, we're going to open the door and go down, if it's safe enough you can come down after." One of the men explained. Christie nodded and watched as the men got their hard hats and miner's lights on. One of them pulled a harness on attached to a rope and started descending down the dark hole while the others lowered him.

"How you doing mate?" One of them shouted down. There was a slight delay in response before quietly we heard "get Christie down here!"

Christie looked at the men, butterflies forming in the pit of her stomach. She agreed reluctantly but it wasn't because she was scared of going down into the pit, the darkness and heights never bothered her, it was more of anticipation and anxiousness of what was waiting for her down there.

Mel grabbed a hat, light and harness from the truck and helped Christie put them on. The men reeled the rope back up and clipped it onto Christie. She stood at the edge and slowly lowered herself down into the darkness.

The rocky wall scraped against her shoes as she continued being lowered, then men above always checking she was ok.

The light shone brightly from her head, there wasn't much around apart from the rocky tunnel.