#45 Not there

Thomas POV:

We all stood in a circle, sitting on chairs to dicuss.

Brenda:"Maybe WICKED found him."

Minho:"No that shank would of had a fight with them and there's nothing in this room that's wrecked or moved."

Jorge:"Guards from the city? Maybe they were wondering why the berg has been here for and most a week?"

Thomas:"He wouldn't of gone with them. Definitely not with them he-"

Maria:"He went with them..."

Thomas:"With who?

Maria:"Cranks...He said this is for the best so he went with them, to be just like them. To feel normal."

Brenda:"Oh shit. The Crank Palace."

Maria:"The Crank Palace?"

Brenda:"There's one in every city."

Jorge:"We flew by it when getting here. Maybe he's in there?"

Maria:"Let's go then."

She stood up and we packed our things. Jorge drove us to the Crank Palace and it was huge. It was like a palace, like a castle. It was leaning against a mountain and was quiet colder then Denver itself. We walked up to it seeing two guards with launchers.

Guard #1:"What do you want?"

Thomas:"One of our friends came here."

Guard #2:"Name."

Maria:"Newt."

The first guard grabbed a folder of papers. He lifted one, showing a picture. It wasn't him.

Maria:"No that's not him. Is that the only Newt?"

Guard #1:"Yes. What does he look like exactly?"

Thomas:"Tall, dirty blonde hair and has a limp."

Guard #2:"We will tell or if he is here if you give us 500."

Jorge lifted his card and they scanned it. They smiled, guard #2 opened the door and went inside. After waiting for an hour he came out.

Guard #2:"Nope sorry. He isn't here."

Maria:"God dammit!"

Guard #1:"Most people from Denver don't come here because of how weird this place is. He probably went to another one."

Jorge:"Alright, Thanks Hermanos."

We turned and walked back to the berg. We all got inside and Maria grabbed the paper and looked at it, laying on the bed. I whispered.

Thomas:"We have to find him but where the hell is he?"

Jorge:"He wouldn't of gone that far. Maybe Kansas City, Utah or Phoenix. Who knows."

Thomas:"Do you have enough money to go to all of those places?"

Jorge:"I have 5360 left. Maybe we could if those guards don't ask for money all the time."

Minho:"Alright let's go. Kansas first?"

Jorge:"Alright Hermanos. 9 hours from here so have a sleep."

We all nod and lay down. I look over at Maria and I walk over to her.

Thomas:"Hey."

Maria:"Hey..."

She was sad, she didn't know what to do, to get Newt.

Maria:"Where would he be?"

Thomas:"We're going to Kansas City to see if he's there. He couldn't of gone that far."

Maria:"Even if we find him, what will he say? He didn't want us to get him. He even wrote it."

Thomas:"We'll try our best...Get some sleep okay. I'm gonna go see Brenda."

Maria:"Thanks Tommy."

I smile at her, she lays down and closes her eyes. I get up and walk over to Brenda who is talking to Jorge.

Brenda:"Hey Thomas."

Thomas:"Hey."

Brenda:"How she doin?"

Thomas:"Awful..."

Brenda:"I do see why Newt left- Actually I don't..."

Thomas:"What?"

We walk over to some chairs.

Brenda:"His brain is being eaten by the flare and the flare is taking over his body. We don't feel that because we're immune. We have no clue how he's feelings. If he had the guts to go out and walk with the cranks because he had no choice he would do it and that's what he did."

I looked into her eyes and nodded. I understood what she did and she's right. Newts changing and he needed to leave, he had no choice. Maybe he thought he would of hurt one of us, maybe Maria.

Brenda:"The letter...he said not to find him and that's what we're doing. Hes gonna be pissed."

Thomas:"Hes our friend. Hes family to us. We can't leave him be surrounded by cranks."

Brenda:"But he's becoming one. If you two arn't gonna sacrifice yourselfs to find a cure he's gonna become of them and they will be there friends and family."

She leaned her head on my shoulder and I held her hand and she held mine.

Brenda:"I'm sorry..."

Thomas:"No...Yours right. I just- I just want Maria to see him."

Brenda:"I know...You care for her. We all do but if he dosent want to come back with us, she'll be even more broken."

We both looked at Maria. Her eyes were closed and she was sleeping.
I looked at Brenda and she looked at me.

Thomas:"Well...we better get some sleep."

Brenda nodded slightly and we both walked to our beds. Brenda stopped me and grabbed my hands.

Brenda:"Sleep with me tonight."

My face went red and warm.

Thomas:"Okay..."

I walked and layed down. She layed in front of me and I put my arms around her. I smelt her hair and she smelt good, even if we haven't had a shower for almost a week, gross.
My eyes closed and I drifted off to sleep.