Betrothal to the Beast

Meera's Point of View

"Is she awake ?" I hear his commanding voice.
"No sir, I put her to bed last midnight. She is badly bruised and her left arm was bleeding profusely." A lady voice, a sweet one answers back quivering.

"I didn't ask you about her injury Mrs.Mary. Wake her up and tell her to wear this." He answered back.

I blink open my open my eyes only to wish I hadn't. Waking up brought all my memories and my heart clenches badly. How did I sigh that paper. When did I do that ? Why would Mr.Arbaaz want me to marry him of all the men, and the most dominant question dwindled back.

Why ME? Of all the women.

I hear the door open and in came Mrs.Mary.

"Good morning dear."

"Morning Mrs.Mary." I mumble. I could feel her pitying gaze on me so I look up at her and give her a weak smile. Of all the misfortunes that life's had thrown at me, Mrs.Mary seemed to be the only good person in my life right. A pang of heartache hits back  when I remember Elena, my brother, Mom.. I am never going back to them am I ?

"Dear, he asked you to wear this, right now. Wear it before he could hurt you more." She said, her voice was weaker than usual.

"Don't worry Mrs.Mary. Everything will be fine." I reassured. Funny how the person who was in need of condolence was herself reassuring someone.

I leaned my weight on my right hand getting up painfully. I walk over to her to look at the lehenga she was holding. It was red in colour like the one brides wore on their wedding day. Is he planning to wed me today ?
I shiver at thought of being wedded to him.

"Is he thinking of wedding me today ?" I ask Mrs.Mary, I could no longer hold back my tears.

"Yes dear. I am sorry." She said. Oh my twisted fate.

"Okay if he wants that so be it.. What would I tell to my parents? That I got married to a beast because I didn't have any way out this so called contract marriage." I whispered. Mrs.Mary placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. I walk back to the bathroom cleaning myself up for my dream wedding day. Just like how I liked it.

Like every girl I always have dreamed bout the day I would get married, a lot of relatives talking loudly in  grand decorated wedding hall, kids running here and there creating loud ruckus, my bridesmaid doing my make up and making fun of the blush that crept up my cheek every time someone mentioned my eternal lovers name, my mom and dad smiling at me wondering how fast the days had passed, my brother probably tensed, working for the wedding ensuring everything under control, my fiancée freaking out in a parallel room but never having a pince  doubt regarding his decision to marry me.