- s -

the car ride back to their dorm was quieter than michael wanted it to be. michael wanted luke to say something like he tended to do and throw back his head in laughter.

instead, luke turned on some pop station and hummed along, checking his phone at every stoplight.

michael had to say something.

"have you ever listened to you me at six?" michael asked, his voice coming out rushed with embarrassment.

"yep," luke responded whilst texting. first of all, what the fuck they were going to die if luke didn't look at the fucking road, and second of all, michael wanted to smack his forehead. that was supposed to start a conversation, not just end there.

"they're really good," michael continued, hoping luke would say something else. michael hated prolonged silence. "what's your favorite song?"

"uh," luke drew out the word as he began to accelerate down the road probably around five minutes from their dorm. "i dunno. crash maybe."

"mine's a little bit of truth," michael spoke while looking out the window at the blue sky. "but i love them all."

"yeah," luke nodded, but he sounded disinterested to michael. it was driving him crazy. luke then reached over and turned up the volume on the radio. michael decided he was going to the bar that night then and there.

michael didn't want to hear annoying people sing about drugs and money and sex. all he wanted was for luke to open his eyes and look at michael with his heart. to listen to his heart. because michael could see the connection, but luke clearly couldn't.

they pulled into a parking spot at their dorm building finally, and michael grabbed a few bags of groceries. luke stayed still.

"h-hey are you gonna help?" michael asked shyly. he wanted to say 'what the fuck, hemmings', but you know.

"i'm supposed to go hang out with some friends," luke nodded, looking past michael instead of at him.

"o-okay. i'll just get everything, i guess," michael spoke halfheartedly. luke was being an asshole.

michael struggled to sling all the heavy grocery bags onto his light toned arms before struggling to open the door with his elbow.

luke just hummed along to some shitty kanye song or something like that. michael finally opened the door, giving luke a look like, 'please, say goodbye to me', but luke just gave him a small look before cocking his head.

"you gonna close the door?" he asked, looking back at his hands as they tapped on the steering wheel. michael felt like his ears were letting out steam.

"i'm good," michael smiled as fake as he possibly could, wanting so badly to flick the blond off with his tattooed middle finger, but he didn't. he resisted temptation like the kindhearted person he strived to be. plus this was his soulmate.

luke muttered something under his breath, yelling, "michael, wait."

but michael didn't wait, he just kept walking.

he checked his phone for the time, and saw that it was one. alex could get here by eight.

to alex: you down for getting shitfaced drunk tonight?

michael waited for a response whilst walking to his dorm. when he reached the end of the hall, he noticed a girl with dark toned hair texting on the floor right across from the door to his dorm room.

"excuse me," michael spoke under his breath, trying not to step on her legs which were sticking out blocking half the hallway.

"sorry ba—" she paused, looking up to see the legs adorned with dark jeans didn't belong to whom she thought that they did. "um, you aren't luke."

michael grinned sarcastically, "wow! you noticed!"

he then fumbled with the key in the door, the same thing he'd struggled with before, just with more pressure.

the goddamn thing just wasn't opening.

"you're doing it wrong," she noted. "you're supposed to turn it all the way to the right and then to th–"

"—to the left, i know," michael rolled his eyes. he was in a really bad mood ever since luke snubbed him in the car and exchanged numbers with that girl at kroger. luke was michael's special snowflake and no one else's, whether luke knew that or not.

"i've never seen you around before, how'd you get luke's key?" she inquired as she stood up. she was surprisingly tall enough to surpass michael's shoulders.

"i'm actually his roommate. surprise!" michael smiled, radiating sarcasm as he pushed open the door to the dorm. he placed the groceries down right on the floor and turned around to face the girl.

"well, can you tell luke that arz stopped by?" she smiled at him, fluttering her eyelashes.

"arz?"

"short for arzalea?"

"is that a common name from where your from?" michael asked, snorting a bit at her attitude.

"you're a hard nut to crack," she giggled. "maybe we should exchange numbers and next time, i'll stop by for you? how's that sound?"

michael just blinked slowly at her before pushing her back slightly, and shutting the door.

he felt a buzz in his pocket, and was delighted to see a text from alex.

from alex: youre lucky i was already on the way down. see ya at six.

michael was so ready for tonight.