epilogue

THIS IS IT !

michael couldn't believe he'd officially lived in america for a year. he couldn't seem to fathom the fact that a year ago, he was driving in the car at this exact moment to ohio state university, and now he was there. now he was here, laughing in his dorm room with his new best friend over something their physics professor had said.

   "i can't believe that he actually thought that we were dating," josh almost wheezed he was laughing so hard, and the laughter that was escaping michael's mouth was basically silent.

   "and, and he thought that scratch on my neck was from you!" michael started laughing, picking up the tiny kitten that was trying to tear apart his comforter. "much to your chagrin, this kitten is here to stay."

   "much to my chagrin? i was the one who suggested we buy it," josh rolled his eyes.

"yes, much to your chagrin, because now he thinks you're scratching up my neck."

   "you should've told him it was pepper over here," josh pointed accusingly at the small grey kitten.

"i don't need the professor knowing that i adopted a little kitten that hates me so much that they scratched me." michael pouted at josh, who just started to laugh.

   "why am i friends with you?"

"you saved my life, buddy, i am forever in debt."

   "what next, do i get three wishes?"

"only if those three wishes are all about me being your best friend." michael poked at josh's cheek jokingly. "smile, my friend."

   josh broke out into a small smile before standing up from the bed and cracking his back. "okay, let's get going, michael."

   "where?"

"food?"

   "okay." michael shrugged, standing up from the bed, walking across the room and placing pepper down on the bathroom floor before closing the door. she could not be trusted alone, so they left her in the bathroom with her food, water, and litterbox when they went out.

   the two boys exited their dorm, making their way down the street to the diner by foot. michael had become pretty good friends with phil, who worked at the diner, and his 'friend' (they were soulmates, they just weren't dating yet) dan. michael had made a lot more friends after becoming friends with josh, and moving dorms to share with josh.

     he made a lot more friends when he stopped thinking about him. he made a lot more friends when he came back to his classes. he made a lot more friends when he started smiling more, and started opening up. michael joined clubs, he went to parties, he never got too drunk to not know what was going on, he didn't ignore his problems. he sought help. he opened up to people. he started working part-time at a car-repair shop.

   the bell on the door rang as michael and josh pushed through it. he immediately caught the attention of phil, and waved at him with a bright smile before he and josh made their way to their usually seats at the milkshake bar.