- oo -

"remind me why we're in starbucks at one a.m. again?" michael yawned, checking the time on his phone before looking up at luke in the dim candlelight. for some reason, luke had dragged him out of bed and down the street to the starbucks aleisha worked at, and michael was happy to be spending time with luke, but at one a.m. when it was forty degrees outside and that starbucks was theoretically supposed to be closed? michael was a bit confused.

"aleisha said we'd be the first people to order the gingerbread frappe if we came here at one a.m." luke gestured to the back room where light was emanating underneath the crack in the door.

michael's eyes widened. "we can't order frappes when it's forty fucking degrees outside, luke."

"fine then, you can get a latte." luke rolled his eyes jokingly. "i'm getting a frappe, extra whipped cream, no molasses."

"are we even allowed to be here?" michael looked around the shop, slightly afraid the police would come and drag them away.

"aleisha's store manager, so it's her call." luke shrugged.

"okay," michael replied in uncertainty. silence filled the room, and michael closed his eyes lightly, taking in the scent of the flame and his tiredness all at once.

"the coffee's not the only reason why we're here." michael looked up into luke's blue eyes at his words, and cocked his head to the side. "i thought now would be a good time to start. to show you the colors."

michael's eyes widened at luke's words, and he subconsciously leaned closer to luke, his hands folded in the table. he'd almost forgotten that the blue-eyed boy could see every hue imaginable. "really?"

"only if you want to."

"of fucking course i want to." michael beamed. luke grabbed michael's hands lightly in his own, leaning across the table to kiss him. their lips almost touched when they heard someone clear their throat across the room, causing luke to pull away, removing his hands from michael's.

"um," aleisha spoke awkwardly. "what will i be making for you two today?"

michael wanted to slap the girl for interrupting their kiss, but luke didn't seem phased.

"we'll have one grande gingerbread latte and a grande gingerbread frappe. extra whipped cream, no molasses." luke nodded at her, and she smiled in response.

"coming right up, hemmings."

michael gave luke a look that said, 'hemmings? what the fuck?'

luke just pushed that away. "she's one of my closest friends, michael, that's just how we talk it's nothing."

"i'm not jealous."

"never said you were."

"you acted like you thought i was."

"but i didn't."

"but you acted li—"

luke leaned across the table, kissing michael to shut him up. they pulled away, michael feeling breathless.

"acted like what? i love you michael, nothing's going between that." luke grabbed michael's hand again.

michael felt like he was flying.

"luke."

"yes?"

"you just said you loved me." michael spoke softly.

luke looked into michael's eyes, and all michael could see in them was love. "i did, didn't i?"

michael couldn't help but crack a small smile at luke's words. he looked down, biting his lip before looking back up into luke's eyes.

"is that alright?" luke asked, leaning forward.

"it's more than alright," michael scoffed, rolling his eyes at luke's words. "i've been waiting for this moment since i met you. for as soon as i met you, i loved you, and every second since then has lead up to now."

aleisha silently came up to their table, placing down the drinks before mentioning to lock the door behind them when they left before leaving herself.

once she was out the door, luke chuckled lightly, biting his own lip as he laughed. "i love you so much. i love you so, so much. i wouldn't want to have my first winter coffee with anyone else."

michael's heart felt like it had caught fire, and it felt like it was pounding faster in his chest as luke spoke.

"i love you, luke. i've never felt this way before. right now, i feel like i'm on fire. my heart's on fire and you're the spark that started it." michael spoke.

"hold onto this feeling, and remember it, love," luke spoke softly, taking a sip of his drink before leaning across the table to kiss michael, his lips hovering over michael's for an instant, kissing him roughly before pulling away and whispering in his ear. "because this is what red feels like."

and when michael opened his eyes, he swore luke's lips were the prettiest, and only, shade of red he'd ever seen.

thoughts & feedback ?

you guys are honestly the best this story already has 2.5k reads ? im shook ?

anyways, just wanted to say thanks a whole bunch & sorry for not updating the past two days for some reason i actually went to bed decently early instead of going to bed at midnight lol

fun fact: i wrote this whole thing drinking a pumpkin spice latte while supposed to be memorizing the aeneid ! yay latin !

+ yesterday was an awesome day bc i left a rehearsal early, and i waved goodbye to everyone and everyone was like "bye !" and i felt so appreciated aw : )

farewell : )))

love,,,