- r -

"what the fuck is kroger?" michael exclaimed, scrunching his nose as the trashy looking supermarket.

"um, it's a store?" luke replied, laughing awkwardly. "why, you have a better idea?"

"do you not have a super target?" michael asked as they walked into the store, it reminding michael of bad memories of getting lost in winn dixie when he was six.

"the only super target in the area is twice as far away as this one, and last i checked we were riding in my car. gas is way too expensive nowadays, goddamn," luke shook his head. michael knew luke was joking, but he still felt embarrassed for some reason.
luke looked over at michael, noticing how his face had gotten more shading on it than earlier.

"hey, don't get like that, i'm only joking around. but for real, i'm a cheapskate," luke smiled at michael warmly before patting his back reassuringly. "let's get shopping."

luke grabbed the shopping cart and began pushing it towards the snack row, and michael followed right behind, smiling to himself because he thought luke would look really cute as a stereotypical stay at home mom who goes grocery shopping every day an—

"michael, should we get jalapeño cheddar or original?" luke interrupted michael's vision by holding up the two different flavors of cheezits.

"uhhhh," michael looked between the two options in deep thought before replying. "jalapeño."

"good choice," luke smiled, tossing the box into the cart. "here, how about you go grab some sodas and beers or whatever and meet me in the frozen aisle in like, five minutes."

"o-okay," michael shrugged. he didn't know his way around, so he awkwardly started walking around the store in search of the drink aisle. when he finally found it, he may or may not have accidentally bumped right into someone.

"aw, i'm so sorry," the guy apologized, and michael noticed that he had blue eyes too, and smiled widely.

"you're fine, don't worry," michael replied, nodding at him before walking to grab a twelve pack of dr. pepper and two six packs of bud light, not really sure what luke would want, but assuming everyone loves dr. pepper because it's actually the bomb, and beer is beer is beer.

he began his long wandering journey back trying to find luke/ the frozen aisle because he didn't know where anything was, and finally found it, and luke who was tapping his foot somewhat impatiently.

"s-sorry, i got lost." michael flushed with embarrassment.

"no, you're fine, you're fine," luke pushed it off with a small smile before turning to the freezer. "i was gonna pick up some things, but i didn't know what you would like, so i just waited."

"oh, um, i like basically any of those pf changs things and those chile's meals are good as well," michael replied, pointing out the different boxes. "i didn't know what kinds of soda or beer you liked so i just kind of..."

michael placed the beer and soda in the cart, and luke smiled at him proudly, making michael feel so personally satisfied.

"you've done well, my friend, you've done well," luke patted his back lightly, and michael felt fireworks exploding inside of him.

luke began tossing frozen bagged meals into the cart, and michael just nodded, because everything luke had chosen looked good to him. michael just loved food in general, so you really couldn't go wrong.

"see anything else you want?" luke asked.

michael was actually thisclose to saying 'you', but decided against it because he's socially awkward.

"uh, nope, i think i'm good. everything you picked looks amazing so," michael shrugged, avoiding eye contact with luke, not wanting to blush or anything.

"okay," luke began pushing the cart towards the check out, michael following him shortly behind. "michael?"

"yeah?"

"do you just not like making eye contact with people when they talk?" Luke inquired, and michael wanted to fly out a window.

he looked luke straight in the eyes, and he felt his cheeks catch flame in embarrassment.

"s-sorry, bad habit. i just get nervous, i guess," michael looked from luke's blue eyes to the ground and back.

luke shrugged at michael's words, and began loading items from the cart to the conveyor belt before striking up conversation with the college girl behind the counter who was trying way to hard to seduce luke.

michael shot her death eyes as she ""discreetly"" unbuttoned one of her polo buttons, but neither she nor luke noticed.

michael hated how positively straight luke seemed.

'but he has to be gay,' michael thought to himself. 'he's my soulmate, he has to be gay.'

but michael bit his tongue as luke slipped the girl his number, and tried not to cry as he looked back at her while they were leaving.

he didn't know what to think anymore besides the fact that the world was against him, and the closer he literally got to his soulmate, the sadder he was.

i dunno where this is going so if you do let me know