Letters to Nowhere *Chapter 50*

With three more songs typed out underneath my arm, I felt pretty good. I was going to the studio to record, and then to the VMA’s tomorrow. I lied back in the cold, soft and worn leather of the studio chairs and tried to ignore the itchiness of the coverings on my new tattoos. I had gotten four, one on my shoulder, and one on my arm that was close to my inner elbow, and then one bird on my ankle and a matching bird on my ribcage. I got them when I went out driving the other day; I had recently gotten my permit a few weeks ago. I was halfway into town when I realized that I needed someone with me, so awkwardly I turned around and grabbed Anderana and took her with me.

She was the only one who really understood my position and she didn’t question anything, especially when I told her I was getting three more tattoos to add to my collection. She just told me that I had a limit of only eight tattoos until I was actually legal. I was only at five tattoos and I didn’t really want another one until I was actually older.

“Grace, alright, you’re ready to go in.” The recording man told me, sighing; I heaved my way into the studio. I wasn’t really dressed to be recorded at the moment, but for some reason Simon wanted a tape of me recording my newest songs.

“Which one should I do first?” I asked him as I pulled on the earphones and sat at the piano. He flipped through some papers and then pushed the button so his voice would come through my headphones.

“How bout we start with The Scientist?” He sounded wary, I gave him the music sheets earlier that day, and he had, ‘tweaked’ it, but I knew that he completely changed it. I walked to the guitar and sat back down at the microphone.

“Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry
you don't know how lovely you are
I had to find you, tell you I need you
Tell you I set you apart

Tell me your secrets and ask me your questions
Oh, let's go back to the start
running in circles, coming up tails
Heads on a science apart

Nobody said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be this hard
Oh, take me back to the start

I was just guessing at numbers and figures
pulling the puzzles apart
Questions of science, science and progress
could not speak as loud as my heart

Tell me you love me, come back and hold me”

My tears slowly got in the way of everything. My fingers stopped playing the chords as then flew to my face to move the tears out of the way. It felt like someone was shaking me up like I was a soda and then the punctured the side of the can with a screwdriver and everything just came flooding out. My voice was thick and I couldn’t speak, let alone sing, I held up my hand for the music to stop as I crumbled away. I knew that Jacob and the rest of the gang were out with the producer but I didn’t want any of them to come in and I think that they knew that.

Once I had calmed myself down, I made the motion for him to roll the track.  The song began again where I left off, and I then ended it, my voice was raspy and deeper than my normal tracks which I liked a bit better. It sounded a bit more mature than my other songs, which I’m happy for.

Once I finished recording it, it was around lunch time. I hadn’t been very hungry the past few days; it wasn’t a terribly large deal as I was becoming a little bit sick. I sat down the stool again, not realizing that I even stood up while recording. I guzzled down another water bottle, as the producer kept adjusting these switches.

“Grace, start the second bridge from the top? Try going just a wee bit higher than the last time. Just the bridge.” He said, I nodded and began to sing it out just a bit higher like he said. He nodded through the clear glass as he tapped the timing against the arm rest on his chair. Of course, I couldn’t hear anything. Jacob, Heather, Jessica and Adam’s heads were facing down at their phones, but then I hit the high note that even I didn’t know that I had in my tiny body. Their heads perked up and their eyes were wide open and their jaws against the floor.