Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

I fidgeted with my hand as I dialed my mum's phone number. 

She has no idea that I'm going to be staying at our house. It's going to be a surprise. I'm excited to see her reaction.

"Hello?" her chirpy voice sounded from the other end.

"Hey mum!" I took a deep breath, "I have something to tell you,"

"Oh dear, that doesn't sound good. In movies when the daughter says that to her mum, she's either gotten herself pregnant from a disturbing punk boy or has hurt herself. Please don't tell me it's either of those," she rambled on. 

"Mum!" I half shrieked, how could she say something like that? "It's neither of those two things!"

"Good. I had a mini heart attack there," she said smiling. I could tell.

"Why do you always think it's going to be something bad? Because this time, it's a good thing," I grinned. Elliot gave me a look. I glared back.

"Oh really? What is it?" she sounded excited all of a sudden.

"I'm actually in Philadelphia right now and I'm thinking of staying at our house when I'm here," I bit my lip.

"Sweetie...you should've told me before!" she sounded stressed.

"What do you mean?" I played with the edge of my shirt. I didn't have a good feeling about this.

"I'm actually not in Philadelphia right now. I'm in Florida..." my mum broke the news to me. 

"But mum!" I said even though I knew saying that wasn't going to change anything at all. "What am I supposed to do?"

"You know what you should do?" she sounded happy again. Honestly, I think I'm the parent here.

"What?"

"You should go visit your dad. I know he's been dying to see you ever since you left," she suggested.

"Oh okay um but where does he live now?" I asked, full of curiosity.

"Here. I'll text you the address after. I'm sure he'll be more than thrilled to see you," she said, "And I'm so sad that I can't be there to see you. Who knows when will be the next time I'll get to see you? Your wedding?" 

"Mum, don't say that. I'll see you soon! Maybe summer break," I wanted to see my parents so bad I could feel it physically. 

"Oh Joey. All kids say things like that. I'm going to go before things get to emotional," she said even though I can hear her sniffling. 

"Mum. Stop it. You're making me cry," I wiped at my eyes. I'm glad my voice didn't show how I was crying.

"Honey, see you soon. Bye," she hung up after that. I bit my bottom lip really hard.

"Are you okay?" Elliot placed a hand on my shoulder. Surprisingly, I didn't attempt to move it. 

"Y-yeah, I just really miss my mum," I sobbed silently just as a text message popped up on my phone screen.

6559 Blackwall Avenue, Philadelphia, PA. 

love, mum.

"Oh. I'm not sure what to say," he frowned, "I'm sorry,"

"I don't expect you to know anything, you live with your mum everyday and you see her everyday," I laughed. 

"True," he nodded. "Come on, let's tell the driver to drop you off at that address,"