Prologue

Guys! Please check out the story and give it a chance! I will be posting chapter one soon! Maybe later today :) Please vote and comment! This is my NaNoWriMo novel, so I am hoping to update really often. thanks!

Prologue  

It's midnight.    

I'm standing outside their door. What do you think I'm doing? Eavesdropping, of course.  

Their voices are urgent, but not to the point of shouting.   

"You're never home! Joey needs a father!" my mom's voice rang out from the room. I agreed with her fully. Dad was never home. Even on the rare occasions that he actually was home, like tonight, he always had work.   

My dad sighed, "Kate. I agree. But Joey isn't the main problem here. Haven't we grown apart in the years that I've been away?"  

"Grown apart? I barely know anything about you anymore!" my mum said, clearly exasperated. I've never thought about it like this before, until now.  

My dad sighed again, "I think we should...split," he paused after "should" as if he was trying to find the right word.

I stood frozen to the ground. Holy moly guacamole.  

"Split? I don't know...what are we going to do with Joey?" my mum asked. Yeah, what are they going to do with me? I could always stay with my mum here in Philly, but I feel like this isn't the case for some reason. 

"Um, I think she should come with me for her last senior year. I--" I stopped listening by this point. I knew what was happening. My mum had accepted my dad's offer and now they are already planning everything out.  

I ran back to my room.  

How could they do this to me? I felt so frustrated but at the same time...relieved. Now they were free to see other people.  

I've turn into one of those cliché girls from movies with divorced parents. Great, just great. What was my dad going to do with me? Take me with him on his business trips? But now that I think about it, it might not be so bad. But that wasn't possible; he couldn't take me on trips. So where was going to put me? In a private boarding school?  

Oh, no.  

-----------  

I groaned as I opened my heavy eyelids. The sunlight that streamed in from the window, blinded me (well, not actually blinded, because that would be bad). I swung my legs over the bed as I brushed a piece of my hair out of my eyes. 

And at that exact moment, the door opened. Revealing two very tired and anxious parents. They must've been up all night discussing what to do with their precious daughter.

Wonderful. But of course, I couldn't let them know that I was eavesdropping on them. 

"Hey mum, hey dad!" I said, hopefully sounding cheery, but, I might've over done it seeing the looks on their faces. 

"Hello Joey," my dad said with his thick British accent. Yep, that's right. My dad works in England. In fact, he works there so much. He's gotten an accent. "We need to talk," 

Great, here we go.