Chapter 6

Simba and I crawled through the shadows. We followed the insane laughter of the hyenas, it wasn't difficult to follow. They must have Zazu and, as annoying as the little hornbill was, we couldn't leave without him.

I heard Banzai speaking loudly above Zazu's screaming. "The little majordomo bird hippity-hopped all the way to the birdie-boiler."

We hurried up and got close enough to see what was happening. The three hyenas stood around a geyser while Banzai walked Zazu in like a toy. Zazu was struggling in his grip, but he couldn't match the strength of a hyena.

Hysterical, Zazu screeched. "Oh no! Not the birdie-boiler!" The geyser shot Zazu into the air and all three hyenas rolled around on the ground, laughing.

Simba, enraged by the display, jumped out from our hiding spot. "Hey!" He snarled. "Why don't you pick on somebody your own size?"

Shenzi narrowed her eyes at us. "Like... you?"

I gasped and Simba realized his mistake. "Oops."

The hyenas started chasing us as Zazu flew overhead. They darted around behind us and poked their heads through the fog. "BOO!" They shouted which was followed by laughter when we jumped.

"This way!" Simba called to me and I followed him towards the skull.

The hyenas chased us up and over the skull until we were cornered. We managed to slip away by sliding down the spine. We shot off the end of the spine and landed on a hillside of bones. There was no time to express my disgust. We hurried up the hill, bones clattering down behind us.

I started to slip, falling back towards the snapping jaws of the hyenas. "Simba!" I screamed, trying to desperately hold on.

Simba turned around and a horrified expression found his face. I screamed again as I kept slipping no matter what I did.
Simba ran back bravely and clawed Shenzi across the cheek, drawing blood and distracting her while I escaped. Shenzi became enraged and the hyenas followed us up the hill of bones.

We raced into a gigantic cave. Inside, there was a wildebeest skeleton and we slipped inside the ribcage. Our eyes were alight with fear and I cowered beside Simba. Is this how we were going to die?! Would I never get to see Mheetu grow up?

Banzai entered the cave first followed by the others. He mocked us: "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty." They drew closer, jaws open to expose their sharp fangs.

Simba bravely puffed out his chest and attempted a roar to scare them off. He tried, but it didn't amount to much. Ashamed, Simba stood his ground but ducked his face.

Shenzi laughed sadistically. "Oo-hoo... that was it? Hah! Do it again...come on." She teased him.

Simba opened his mouth again, and at the exact same moment, the cave thundered with a powerful roar. The hyenas looked around, quite confused as were we. Simba looked shocked. Where had that roar come from?!

Out of nowhere, Mufasa charged at the hyenas and knocked them down beneath him. He stood over all three of them and parted his jaws to reveal sharp teeth. His eyes were alright with rage.

The pathetic hyenas spoke a jumble of words. "Oh, please, please! Uncle. Uncle. Ow. Ow. Ow!"

Mufasa roared again. "Silence!" Simba and I shared a relieved sigh. We weren't going to die!

Benzai nodded hysterically. "Oh, we're gonna shut up right now."

Shenzi growled at Benzai, "Calm down!" Then she looked up at Mufasa apologetically. "We're really sorry."

The large, powerful golden lion lowered his face closer to theirs, pulling back his lips to reveal his teeth. He spoke in a thunderous growl. "If you ever come near my son again..."

"Oh, this is..." Shenzi glanced at Simba whom I still hid behind. "This is your son?!"

Banzai gulped, "Oh, your son?"

Shenzi looked to Benzai, "Did you know that?"

Banzai shook his head, they were playing off of each other, trying to save their skins. "No... me? I-I-I didn't know it. No. Did you?"

Shenzi huffed and shook her head. "No! Of course not!"

Shenzi and Banzai both glanced at the third hyena. "Ed?"

The idiotic hyena nodded stupidly, causing Mufasa to roar angrily. They all whimpered and sprung to their paws. "Toodles!" Banzai shouted over his shoulder.

Zazu appeared from outside the cave and landed beside Mufasa. He gave him an approving nod, but then he shrunk under Mufasa's angry glare. The King was not in a good mood.

Simba and I emerged from the ribcage, heads low in shame. I walked over by Zazu while Simba approached his father. "Dad, I..."

He didn't let Simba explain. Instead, he turned on him with an angry growl, "You deliberately disobeyed me."

Simba seemed lost for words. He shuffled his paws in embarrassment. "Dad, I'm... I'm sorry."

The King sighed and looked each of us over for wounds. Satisfied that we were fine, he started walking. "Let's go home."

I leaned over to Simba and whispered so quietly that Mufasa couldn't hear. "I thought you were very brave."

Mufasa, Zazu, and Simba left the cave, but I stopped. Something didn't feel right. It felt like someone was watching me. I spun around and studied the cave to no avail. Still in doubt, I turned and left the cave. I raced after them even though I still felt eyes following me.

~

A/N
Please vote/comment. The story will pick up in a few chapters.