Paper and Pet

(c) aldubmode. tumblr

8.25.16 AMACon3 Day8 Drabble Challenge

PAPER AND PET

"What's your greatest heartbreak?" asked Maine so randomly.

They're having a picnic under a tree, in those secret locations that Alden manages to find. As much as possible he always wants them to have a semblance of normalcy and privacy whenever they go out. And she loves him more for that.

Alden's body lay on the grass while his head is on her lap. She combed his hair with her hand. He closes his eyes then opened it again and meets her gazed. "A piece of paper..." he said before suddenly laughing.

Maine raises an eyebrow. "A piece of paper?"

He nodded and smile that turned to a grin. He took her hand, laid it above his chest and closes his eyes. "During my teenage years, when I thought that a broken heart is the end of the world..." he met her gaze. "My girlfriend broke up with me, saying it through a piece of paper"

Maine nodded. Understanding. "So she did not break up directly and just gives you a piece of paper?"

"Yes, she gives it to me and run. When I finally read it, I was so devastated that I tore it to pieces." He stared at Maine's brown eyes and paused, as if looking for something there and when he found it, he smile and continues. "I just got home and was at our living room that time, it was a late afternoon. My mom and dad is out. Kuya RD went out with Lolo and Lola too. I was crying while tearing up that piece of paper. When I thought that I've done enough damage, I just left and run to my room and cries some more" he said this while grinning which made Maine laugh out loud.

"You cry baby," Maine teases.

Alden just laughed, and then bites her hands softly which startled her, "Awww!" she said playfully, not hurt at all. She grinned and leans forward to kiss him on his forehead before she asked. "So, why are you laughing about it when I asked you?"

"Because that piece of paper managed to comes back"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

Alden's eye is twinkling just by remembering. He kissed Maine's hands first before he answer. "After I grew tired of crying I fell asleep, nagising ako with Rizza's hand slapping me awake continuously" he laughs then continues, "Talagang todo tapik siya to wake me up so I did. Then she handed me back that piece of paper, all whole again with scotch tapes binding it from the back"

He adjusted his position and faces Maine's stomach, he circled his arms around her torso, his still lying on the grass, his head on her lap as he continues. "Rizza ask mom's help pala to put the piece of paper back into one whole again. Sabi pa niya, she saw me crying while looking at those torn papers..." he smile solemnly before looking up at Maine again, "Malamang dumating siya after I tore up those papers. Kaya akala niya, it being torn was the reason I was crying...my sweet little sister, she only cares that her Kuya stops crying. She smile at me and said, "Kuya, may scotch tape tayo. Ang dami sa desk ni Daddy. Baka di mo nakita, kaya ako na lang nagdikit." Alden said to Maine with a smile that reached his eyes.

Maine nodded. "That's sweet. Nasan na yung piece of paper na yun?"

"Ahaha! Nakadikit sa likod ng picture ni Rizza dun sa kwarto ko"

Maine smile at him. "To remind you?"

Alden nodded and grin, his dimple so visible, as usual. "Yes, that I have a sister...a family to turn to when the world seems to fall apart."

Maine touched his chin. "I'm glad that something like that turns into a beautiful memory"

"Eh ikaw, what's your greatest heartbreak?"

Maine looks on the side and pouts. "When Patrash died."

Alden laughs out loud, sat up and holds both her cheek and kissed her on the lips firmly. Afterwards he said, "I'll be your pet anytime" then winks.

Maine stared at him for a second, bewildered then her laughter rings all throughout the place.

Oh, it was such a happy day.

_ _ _ _