He's like a ticking time bomb

THE NEXT DAY

Ally's p.o.v

"See you later." I said to Trish as she was walking out of the door. She was going to meet Dez... Yep, I'm kafuzzled too, but I guess that means that I can spend the day with Austin.

We arranged for me to go round to his place and we can write some songs together, he wants me to sing to him. I'm alright with singing to Austin, he likes it.

He opened the door as I approached the house. "Hey." He smiled, standing at the door. He was dressed in sweatpants and a hoodie but he still looked good. I walked up to him and hugged him.

He was warm and cosy. "Hi, you look...casual today." I smiled, thinking of the right word. We walked in and made our way to the couch.

"So, how are you...you know, since yesterday?" He asked with a laugh.

"I've been alright, what about you?" I asked, feeling a chill down my spine, something about him today didn't seem right.

"I've been fine." He said. The smile dissolved from his face and he stared off into space moodily.

"Are you sure?" I asked, putting a hand on his arm but he swatted it away.

"I said I'm fine!" He said as he suddenly got up.

"Austin!" I said loudly. He was being vague on purpose, that maddened me. Why won't he just tell me. The air suddenly felt different. It felt charged, like someone had zapped me or I'd been hit by a thunderbolt.

"It's nothing!" He matched the volume of my voice.

That hot, powerful feeling rose to my cheeks. "Either you tell me or I walk out that door because I am sick of your mood swings! Jeez, it's like I have to  say the wrong think and you're liable to blow up, with no warning!" I yelled. It felt like a weight had been lifted from my chest and shoulders.

I was scared that he was going to be mad and yell at me, but no. Instead, his frown and angered face, twisted into a smile. A grin even. Then, out of the blue, he just started laughing.

I stared at him. Is he real? One second he's all angry and yelling, then he starts to laugh? "What's so funny?" I asked confused.

He looked at me and he smiled, in this familiar way. "That was the first time you've said that and meant it." He said.

I frowned at him, still confused. "I've yelled at you loads of times." I said.

Austin shrugged indifferently. "Yeah, but this time it's funny." He tried hiding a smile.

I don't know why, but giggles rose up in my chest like soda bubbles. It was funny, it was the first proper time that I've stuck up for myself. I was meant to be mad but I couldn't help it. There was a long pause and I scrambled to think of something to say.

"So, how about we get on with that song?" He asked. The sound of his voice startled me but I agreed anyway.

*

The song went horribly. Not that it was a disaster, but Austin and I were messing about with chords and words for two hours. We got a verse finished.

"How about dinner on top of the hill tonight?" Austin asked, sitting back on the black armchair in the light blue and navy blue recording room, next to his bedroom.

"I wish I could, but I have to spend time with my family tonight. I haven't spent that much time with them this vacation so I need to spend a bit of time with them. And Trish before she goes back. Another time maybe?" I asked, worried that he will get mad for cancelling.

"Sure." He smiled. I breathed a sigh of relief. Sometimes I get really scared, he's like a ticking time bomb, he's all calm and then suddenly... BOOOOM! He erupts, maybe he'll be fine when we get back home, he might be homesick...