Chapter 4

The rest of the day is going so long and I just can’t stop thinking of Jack.  I made a couple of friends during math and I was now sitting with them at lunch. I sat quietly as they continued to bitch about a few of their other friends. It’s not that their bitching annoyed me, it’s just I had no idea what they were on about and I felt excluded as ever. I knew after time I’d fit in with these girls. They were like me. They weren’t popular but they stuck to their own little group of friends. One of the girls, Casey, had long brown hair and held most of the conversation whilst the other girl, little blonde Josie, simply agreed with whatever she said.

“So, have you seen anyone you liked?” Casey asked me, breaking me away from my reverie. My mind automatically flashed to Jack and a flood of guilt fell over me. I mentally pushed him out of my mind, filling my thoughts with Sam.

“Uhm no. I have a boyfriend.” I informed them. The blonde one jumped up in excitement.

“Oh em gee. What’s he like? Have you guys kissed? Do you love him? Oh wait, have you guys, well, you know?” She said, wiggling her eyes.

I stared at her in shock, surprised at her straightforwardness. I was about to answer her questions when something caught the corner of my eye. It was him. It was Jack.

My eyes followed him as he walked straight past us. He was chatting to a friend of his, but he was nothing compared to Jack. Nobody compared to Jack. The way that his hair stood up perfectly, the way he smiled and laughed. He just looked so happy.

“I thought you had a boyfriend” Casey said, snapping my head away from Jack and forcing me to face her instead.

“Yeah. I do. Sam. His name is Sam.” I said too quickly. She pursed her lips at me.

“Why were you perving at Harries and Will then?” She asked.

I narrowed my eyes before asking, “I thought his name was Jack, not Harry or Will”.

This only causes Josie to freak out as she lifts her arms up and goes, “oh em gee, you know Jack Harries?”

I leaned back away from her a little, trying to maintain some personal space. Suddenly, Casey’s hand flew up to Josie’s mouth, stopping her from talking. Casey leaned in towards me, starting to whisper.

“How do you know Jack?” She asked me.

I shook my head, “I don’t, he just showed me to class cause some girls gave me the wrong directions. And then I kinda fainted and he was just there and he took me to the nurse. He was probably just being friendly”.

This time they shook their head, “Uh-uh, Jack doesn’t do ‘friendly’. He’s one of the most popular guys in the school. He gets what he wants and well, who he wants.”

I shifted my gaze from their judging faces back up to him. He hadn’t walked far enough to get out of my gaze. I looked at him for a few minutes before his eyes suddenly met mine. I quickly looked down in embarrassment. When I built the courage to look back up at him, he was laughing along with his tall friend. I looked away again in embarrassment. I was obviously just a joke to him. He didn’t even acknowledge me. He didn’t wave or smile or anything. It’s like he’d never met me this morning.