-one-

One year ago, I would have never pictured myself going on a date with Charlie Gardner. But things have changed since then.

"Mom I'm gonna be late, I'll call you back later!" I hung up the phone and took one last glimpse in the mirror before heading out the door.

My black heels clicked noisily on the concrete as I made my way to my Honda civic- a new addition to the family, thanks to my dad.
My shoulder length hair bounced freely as I ducked into the car and started the engine.

Charlie said he'd meet me at the boardwalk, and to "dress fancy." After going on a shopping spree with Maya, I decided that my skin tight black dress, black shoes, and diamond earrings were quite fancy enough.

My phone let out a ding as I drove down the road. "Crap, forgive me, mom." I muttered, checking my iPhone. I rolled my eyes when I saw who the text was from, throwing the it back on the passenger seat.

To break the silence I turned on the radio, humming along to a Taylor Swift song. My stomach did flips as I approached the beach, which was pretty much vacant.

I quickly parked and bounced out of the car to see Charlie standing ahead of me, his arms wide spread.

"Hi babe!" I squealed, wincing slightly at the cologne he bathed in. I hate cologne, of course I wouldn't tell him that. He's way too sensitive.

"It's about time you arrived," he smiled widely, taking a cloth out of his back pocket.

"What are you doing, you goof?"

"I'm blind folding you, what do you think?" He winked, tying the fabric across my eyes.
"You know I hate surprises, where are we going Charlie!"

He gave me no response, taking my arm and guiding me over a bridge and down the steps. "We're almost there."

We were walking for about ten more seconds before he finally removed the blindfold. "Oh my god!" I exclaimed. In front of me was a beautifully lit two seater table, a meal already prepared. A radio sat nearby, playing frank ocean- my favorite artist.
Charlie shot me a grin. Even in the darkness I could see that his cheeks were a light shade of pink.

"You're amazing, you know that?" I rushed to the table, scanning over the steak and potatoes on our plates. Lying on the sand was a bottle of wine.

"And did I ever tell you how beautiful you look?" He smiled sheepishly, planting a kiss on my forehead.

"Oh why thank you, Mr Gardner." I giggled as he pushed my chair in. He then sat across from me, cutting a piece of steak.

Silence lingered over the table. The tide came in and out, slightly splashing my feet each time it arrived. "So.." I said awkwardly, wiping my mouth with a napkin. "How did you get all this done?"

"It was quite easy, I just asked Zay and Maya to help me set it up."

"They knew about this? No wonder Maya looked so damn suspicious."

Charlie chuckled lowly. "Language, babe."

"Sorry." I whispered, knowing that he didn't like when I cursed.
"We should dance!" I changed the subject. Standing up from my seat, I took his hand, but he shook his head. "I can't dance, Riles. You know this."

"C'mon, let's do something! Let's skinny dip, let's collect seashells, let's take cute pictures, something!"

"R-riley-"

"Look, this has been amazing. It's gorgeous. But you have the personality of a rock."

Charlie cleared his throat and untied his napkin from his neck. "I didn't know you felt that way."

"Well, I... I think that you need a little nudge, step outside of your comfort zone a bit. You won't even dance in front of your own girlfriend." I sighed heavily, grabbing my purse from the table. "I think I should go."

"What!" Charlie shouted, startling me. "You're not going anywhere, Riley. Do you know how long it took to prepare this for you! And you're gonna leave because I won't dance with you? Grow the hell up."

I stood there in shock. Charlie never yelled. Not at anyone, not at his parents, his friends, not me. Something told me to run, to leave as soon as possible. If these were his true colors, then I wasn't sticking around any longer. "Charlie?" I whispered, turning around to face his cold brown eyes. "Fuck you."