-nine-

Dedicated to Leahjanellef

"Are you serious?" Maya widened her eyes at me. I knew she wouldn't be happy with Farkle coming back.

"I know you're mad, but people shouldn't hold grudges-"

"Bullshit."

"Maya, watch your language!"

She rolled her eyes. "He can't just pop in and out of your life whenever he wants to. I'm the one who had to watch you change from the bubbly, cheerful girl you were into.."

"Into what, Maya? The boring Riley? You think you haven't changed ever since Lucas left?"

"Don't bring him up." She whispered, turning her back against me.

"Why? You always brought up Farkle. Can't you ever be happy for me?"

Maya opened her mouth, but closed it again. "I can't believe you just said that."

I couldn't believe it either, but I held my ground, fighting the urge to apologize a million times. "I have to go to class." I muttered, speeding down the hallway.

Maya's POV

I couldn't believe Riley. The words bounced around in my head as I watched her storm away.

Can't you ever be happy for me?

The nerve of that girl, I've always wanted her to be happy. That's the reason I've been so protective over her, yet she fails to see that.
Maybe we were drifting apart. We're two different people, not nearly as close as we used to be.

Riley's POV

All throughout English class I couldn't quit thinking about Maya. I just may have screwed up the only true friendship I had.

"Riley, partner?" I looked up to see Zay standing at the foot of my desk. His hair was styled in a buzz cut that fit him perfectly, his usual blue flannel shirt unbuttoned at the top. I sucked in a breath and nodded, following him to his desk.

After about ten minutes of silence between us, Zay finally spoke. "Let's just put that whole kissing thing behind us, okay?"

"That's what I've been doing," I started, pretending to revise his essay as the teacher walked by. "But you've been avoiding me."

"I haven't been... Well yeah I have been avoiding you. But it's because I thought things would be awkward between us."

"Well they were, but not anymore." I laughed softly, pushing the memory to the back of my mind.

"So we both agree that nobody will find out about this?"

"Agreed."

"We kissed."

"Zay!"

*

If anything, art class was the most awkward thing since seeing Zay after the... Incident. Maya avoided me all throughout the period, only focusing on her painting. It hurt me to see that I hurt her. But what do I say to her?

When the bell finally rung, Maya swung her bag over her shoulder and zoomed out of the room. She's waiting for me to apologize.

Screw your pride, Matthews. You need your best friend back.

I hurried after Maya, dropping pieces of paper on the way. "Maya I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything I said earlier. I know that you want me to be happy, I just... Maybe you're right about Farkle. He left me when he said he wouldn't, just like Lucas. But you forgave Lucas, you should st least try to forgive Farkle."

Maya didn't respond, she didn't turn around. She just paused as I rambled on, and then when I was done, resumed walking into her next class.

God, I've really messed up now.