-eighteen-

With all the stress of Farkle and I breaking up, school, and life period, I totally forgot about the fall ball on Friday. Who the hell am I gonna bring? I ran my hand through my hair as I paced my bedroom floor. What if I brought Charlie, just to make Farkle jealous? No no, Riley, you can't do that! That's evil.
The more I thought about it though, the more it appealed to me. Wow. Maya sure is rubbing off on me.

"Riles?" My dad entered my room.

"Hey, daddy. What's up?"

"Well, I was thinking. You're in your senior year and all, so I figured we should spend some quality time together? Go out to eat or something."

"Of course, I'll be ready in a sec." I smiled. After he closed the door, I sat on my bed. Without any more thought, I pulled out my phone.

Hey, Elliot. Wanna go to the fall ball together?

*

"This is so good!" My dad's eyes rolled to the back of his head as he took another bite of his Philly cheese steak.

"Tell me about it!" I agreed. After about 5 minutes of bickering, we decided on eating brunch at a small restaurant in the heart of Manhattan.

"So, tell me about school. How's that thing going?"

"It's great! But between me and you, I don't really know if I wanna go to NYU anymore."

My dad widened his eyes. "What do you mean? You've been wanting this ever since last year!"

"Y-yeah, I know-"

"You aren't letting anybody talk you out of this are you?"

"No." I lied. "It's just.. My teachers expect more from me than just a school for arts and designing and.. "Wannabe hoodlums.""

"Riley, Riley, Riley." He chuckled. "You know, when I told Shawn about proposing to topanga, he thought I was crazy. Didn't think we would last outside of high school. In fact, a lot of people thought that we were too young."

"You've told me this story a thousand times, dad." I said softly, jealous of his and my mom's relationship, that was supposed to be like me and Farkle's.

"My point is, if I would have let everyone who doubted me talk me out of marrying your mother, you probably wouldn't have been born!"

I sighed heavily, knowing that he was telling the truth. If I let other people talk me out of doing what I feel is right, I'll never be happy. "Thanks, dad."

"Always, sweetheart. Now, is Farkle the reason you don't want to go?"

"No! He has nothing to do with it, I promise." I laughed at his reddened face.

*

What? Really? Of course I'll go with you!

Great, he said yes. If you're wondering, Elliot is just a friend... One who kind of sort of has a crush on me. I sort of feel bad for leading him on, but he is kinda cute. Maybe it's time to get over Farkle, step outside of my comfort zone a little.
I hesitantly lifted up my phone to show Maya the texts. After reading them she immediately smiled demonically. "You're going with Elliot?!" She exclaimed.

"Yeah I guess so!" I said loudly on purpose, hoping that Farkle would hear me from the living room. He was playing some video game with Auggie, who was tragically behind. I watched as he let out a laugh, ruffling my little brothers hair. God, he's so cute.

"Hello! Earth to Riley!" Maya rolled her eyes.

"Oh, sorry what?"

"I said, what are you gonna wear to the dance?"

I thought for a minute. There are so many options, but I want to wear something that'll leave Farkle speechless.
"Let's go shopping." I smiled, looking back at my ex-boyfriend.