-five-

I was sitting in my bay window, thinking about everything and nothing. Thinking about life.

"Hey."

"Hey."

Maya sat beside me on the window, joining in on the silence. "I saw what happened."

"Let's not speak of it." I smirked, waiting for her to tease me for kissing Zay. I didn't do it because I wanted to, or because I liked him more than a friend, but because I was vulnerable. He kissed me.

"Did you... Like it?" She asked, nudging my shoulder.

"Maya, I'd rather not talk about it."

Did I like it? Hard to tell. Did I want it to stop? Maybe not.

"Oh alright," she chuckled. "Us girls don't kiss and tell."

"Do you think this year is going... Well?" I blurted. I wanted to tell her about those two girls. It was wrong of me to be upset at her for not protecting me when she wasn't there to see what happened, but I couldn't help but feel alone, and let down. No matter where I went, someone was always there to protect me. Farkle, Lucas, Maya, Zay, Smackle, my dad. Not anymore.

"Riles, it's the last year we have to struggle through until graduation."

"That wasn't my question..."

"I know you miss Farkle, Riley. You haven't been the same after he left. But trust me, he'll come back for you. Don't you think I miss Lucas?"

"I know you do, peaches. He'll be back."

Maya smiled warmly. "Come here, rainbow." She squeezed me tightly as the tears poured out of my eyes. "I love you, maya."

"I love you too, Riles. Things will get better."

*

Farkle's POV

"Farkle honey, is this you?" The voice on the phone didn't sound like Riley.

"Mrs. Matthews?" I whimpered, desperateness clear in my voice.

"Hi, how are you? Haven't heard from you in a while!"

"Listen, I don't mean to be a burden... I-I know it's so sudden but I got kicked out of my dad's house and I need a place to stay, I don't want to be homeless and-"

"Farkle, calm down. Of course you can stay here. Have you talked to Riley?"

"I haven't, ma'am."

"Well this is going to be interesting."

---

Riley's POV

The dinner table was silent tonight, but not an awkward silence, a suspicious silence. My mom constantly glanced at my father, who constantly glanced at Auggie. My brother looked at me and smiled before looking back down at his plate.

"Riley, honey? I'm gonna need you to go in your room at 8 tonight. You've been going to bed late lately, and it's not good for your um.. Health." My mom grinned, once again, looking at my dad.

"Yeah," he added. "Sleep is important. So don't come out of your room until the next day okay? Okay."

I raised an eyebrow, confused by their behavior. "Okay?"

I didn't know what they were planning, but I hoped it was a party or something. God knows I need it. I went to go wash my plate off, listening closely to my parents' conversation.

"I'm sure she'll be ecstatic. It'll get her out of this funk!"

"No, Cory. It won't. I don't know what will happen, I don't know where he'll sleep."

When I walked back into the kitchen they went silent again. "What's going on?" I demanded.

"Nothing honey, just go in your room and don't come out." My dad said, guiding me into my room. After he shut the door I pressed my ear to the door.

There was a sharp knock at the front door, and then somebody opened it. "Hi, honey!"

Who was she talking to? Was one of my cousins staying with us? I listened closer, and heard a deep make voice. "Thank you so much for letting me crash here for a while. My dad has officially lost it."

I gave up eavesdropping and cut on my TV, getting sucked into some trashy reality show.

Farkle's POV

The matthews' apartment still looked the same. It still held the same memories. Me and Riley sleeping on the couch in front of me, me climbing through her window in the evening. Christmas, thanksgiving. They were all still here.

I looked around, the smile on my face permanent. I forgot all about my dad, that I dropped out of school. Topanga's warm smile greeted me again, this time she brought me a dinner plate. "Make sure you're not too noisy, Riley is probably really suspicious."

The fact that Riley was even here made my stomach churn. I had to control the urge to burst into her room and spin her around and around. God, I miss her so much.

"How is she?" I whispered, looking down at the plate.

"Well, she's been really.. Down lately." Cory explained.

"She hasn't been the same cheerful girl we know and love." Topanga added.

It hurt like hell to hear that she wasn't doing okay. Pulling out my phone, I texted her and quickly hid my phone.

Cory and topanga may have been being friendly, but they don't want Riley to see me, not yet. Deep down I knew it was because I'm the reason she isn't herself anymore.