Chapter Five

I was feeling better and almost normal by the time we got home. (A Whopper with extra pickles, hold the mustard, from Burger King always hits the spot.) But just in case, Martin got out of the car to walk me to the door. Looking at the house, we no longer heard the music blasting, and things seemed to have quieted down. Thinking it was safe to assume everyone went home, we were in for a horrible surprise when we walked through that door.

As we walked up the driveway, Martin was teasing me, asking if I needed him to carry me. I just laughed and started walking faster to the door as Martin ran to catch up to me. Slipping his hand in mine, we walked up the front steps onto the porch.

But of course, pretty much the only thing that could ruin the moment, happened. As soon as we opened the front door, Adrian's head popped out. Martin and I couldn't help but jump a little. The horror probably couldn't be seen on our faces, but it was definitely felt in our hearts. I felt Martin's hand get warmer, I could tell he was getting mad; unlike my hands, that were now cold after almost having a panic-attack from that little surprise Adrian gave us.

Adrian grabbed my arm and yanked me in the house while saying with a wily smile, "Thanks for taking her home for me. Have a nice night." He then pushed Martin back out of the doorway.

"REBEC-" Martin was cut off by Adrian closing and locking the door before he could get back in.

"How are you honey? Where have you been all day?" Adrian continued, as he leaned in to kiss me.

Outraged at his boldness and whole demeanor, I slapped him. I slapped him hard. It felt good. It was something I've been wanting to do for a while now, and let's face it - he had it long coming. Thankfully I got him just in time before he even touched my face.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I exclaimed. "You need to go. NOW." I opened the door and shoved him out. I expected to see Martin there, but he was gone. I still saw his car, so I figured he must still be here somewhere.

**Martin's POV**

I jumped when Adrian came in the doorway. I felt Rebecca jump, too. Her hand was cold; they're never cold. At least not like that. She must be scared. I was too aggravated to let any other emotion in. I could feel my hands getting hot. The next thing I knew, Adrian grabbed Rebecca's arm and yanked her inside. The whole thing caught me off guard. Somehow my grip was loosened from her hand, and she slipped away.

"REBECCA!!" I exclaimed. Quickly thinking, I went to stick out my foot in between the door and the wall. I didn't care if my foot got crushed. I just wanted that lunatic away from my girl.

My girl. Rebecca's my girl. I liked the sound of that.

But I wasn't quick enough. Adrian closed and locked the door before my foot even hit the wood. "Damn it," I muttered to myself. I was more than just aggravated. Now, I was furious.

Obviously I wasn't getting in through the door, so I had to figure out another way in. Then a thought occured to me.

The window.

Rebecca's window was still open from when we left through it earlier today. And seeing as her room was locked from the inside, unless someone climbed in her window from the outside, that meant it was still open. I started to go down the front steps, when I heard Rebecca yelling. I stopped in my tracks to listen; I could only make out the last word, "NOW."

Just then the door opened and Adrian was pushed out. He tripped down the steps and landed right in front of me. He looked terrified. He just stood there almost frozen, like a deer in headlights. Suddenly he stood upright and started to play it off cool, as he usually does, as if he did nothing wrong.