Chapter Ten

-Bzz Bzz-

I woke up to my phone vibrating.

"Good morning princess!! Merry Christmas :)"

<Martin>

I smiled, then looked at the time. 5:45am. It may have been Christmas morning, but why was Martin up this early? I was about to respond when my phone vibrated again.

"Sorry if I woke you up :p I didn't realize the time"

<Martin>

"lol it's ok. Why are you up though? And Merry Christmas :)"

<Rebecca>

"Dani woke me up at 5. I've been awake ever since listening to chaos and the crinkling of wrapping paper. I would've called but I think my ears might be half deaf from the screaming."

<Martin>

I chuckled. I forgot Martin's little sister, Dani, usually get's up super early, especially for Christmas. I'm surprised she slept in until 5 this time. Dani's about 8 now. I remember when I was her age this was the only day of the year when I'd get up before the break of dawn. Anthony and I used to get up so early on Christmas that our parents had to set a limit and we couldn't get up any earlier than 5. I remember both us having to wait so impatiently, for what seemed like forever, until it reached 5am. Oh, the simple days, I thought.

"ah right. I forgot what it's like to be an 8 year old ;) are you tired?"

<Rebecca>

"Not too much. I did go to bed early last night, so I've gotten more sleep than I would've"

<Martin>

"same. i'm not that tired either"

<Rebecca>

"wanna come over? :)"

<Martin>

"I wouldn't be intruding on you and your family's Christmas morning..?"

<Rebecca>

"Not at all. we all adore you. now I have a screeching eight year-old in my ear wondering if you're coming or not :)"

<Martin>

"lol ok, I'm coming :)"

<Rebecca>

Being hardly 6am, I really didn't feel like getting dressed. Then again, I also didn't feel like walking down the street in my pajamas...I decided to put on some sweat pants and then a hoodie over my pajama top. After fixing my hair in a messy bun and slipping on my uggs, I realized how comfortable this outfit was. Maybe I should start wearing this to bed instead.

I grabbed my phone and Martin's present, putting them both in my pocket. I got him a personalized pocket knife with his name on it. It's blue, since that's his favorite color. He's been going on about a pocket knife for awhile now - I figured it'd be a good gift.

Everyone else was still asleep, all accept Nyla who sleeps at the foot of my bed, so she kinda can't help but wake up when I do. I said goodbye to Nyla and went out the door, leaving a sticky note on my door saying I'm down the street.

As I stepped outside, I gleefully looked at all the snow that had previously landed last night and early this morning. After I got to the bottom of the drive way, I realized the sidewalks haven't been shoveled yet. Thankfully, at least the roads were plowed, so I was extra careful as I walked on to the street.

It was cold, but it wasn't too bitter. It would've been too much to bear if I was going to be out awhile with just my hoodie, but I figured it didn't really matter since I was only walking a couple houses down. As I got closer to the Johnson's house, I could hear Dani still screaming in excitement. How can anyone have this much energy in the morning? I thought as I chuckled quietly to myself.