Chapter Sixteen

Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out

I tried to calm myself down as I applied eyeliner and a thin coat of mascara. I really wasn't into the whole make-up thing, but I figured hey, this is a special occasion.

Today, I was graduating.

I slipped on a pair of opened toe high heels, showing off my newly painted blue silver toe nails, and headed downstairs. 

"We're gonna be late, come on let's go!" My dad hollered.

"Dad, we're gonna be early. It doesn't start for another--"

"Alright, I'll be in the car. Tell your mother we'll be waiting, pumpkin," my dad said while rushing for no reason.

I shrugged, grabbed my bag from the kitchen table as I heard the clicking from high heels coming down the stairs.

"Ohh, I can't believe my baby is graduating!!" My mom cried out while giving me a hug.

"We're really proud of you pumpkin." My dad joined in with a smile and a glint in his eye...or was that a tear?

"Dad, are you crying?" Anthony chuckled while entering the kitchen. Before he could pass us my dad wrapped his arm around Anthony's neck and brought him in on this now slightly awkward family hug. Anthony grunted, "This is too much 'closeness' for one day. Or life time." I, along with my parents, chuckled before separating from the hug.

"Ok," my dad said, turning to me, "Are you sure you don't need a ride?"

"No dad, I'm fine. Martin's driving me," I smiled. 

"Alright, be safe pumpkin."

"I will."

Just then I hear a car pull up and the door slam. As a figure began walking up the driveway I smiled.

"That's him! Bye dad, mom, Anthony."

"Bye honey, we'll see you later!" my mom chimed in.

I opened the door and only made it out one step, when I froze in place. Martin had just reached the porch when he stopped in his tracks, too, like a dear in the headlights...only without the fear part.

"Wow..." he said, looking stunned. "You look gorgeous." I was wearing a light blue spaghetti strap sun dress that reached to just above my knees. It was covered in a floral pattern, and came tight around my waist, complementing my figure. My black shoes matched the darkened trim around the flowers of my dress. It wasn't anything too fancy, but I'd have to admit, I did look rather nice today.

A smile instantly spread across my face the same time I took in his apparel. It was a normal pair of black dress pants and a white shirt. His light blue tie matched my dress perfectly. The fact that he went to the trouble to match me only enforced my smile. He was wearing his black pants much to his dissent. If it were up to him, he'd have worn the dress shirt with skinny jeans, but his mother disapproved. Although Mrs. Johnson really didn't have any control over what her son wore, it was cute to know he changed to make her happy.

"You, too," I said admiring at how well he cleans up. The stubble on his chin made him look that much more handsome. Finally, after that brief pause, I made my way over to him. Martin was still on the ground as I reached the top step. There being only two steps to begin with, I was now just slightly taller than him  as we came face to face.

"You think I look gorgeous?" he chuckled as he held out his arm for me to take.

I rolled my eyes, and mentally palm-faced after my poor choice of words. "Would you prefer the term handsome?" I laughed.