Chapter Twelve

**Rebecca's POV**

I woke up exhausted to Nyla licking my face. I pet her, giving her the attention she seeked, and she sat back on my bed. I looked at the clock.

9:10am.

I sighed. "Nyla, why do you wake me up so early on Saturdays?" She looked at me and tilted her head, trying to make sense of the sounds coming out of my mouth. After not hearing any key words like "food" or "play" she rested her head back on my bed and began to wag her tail at me. I smiled and leaned my head back on my pillow.

I thought about this past week. Martin and I still hadn't made up. It felt ridiculous; this was such a small problem. Why did it bother me so much? Or him, for that matter; it didn't seem like he was too eager to talk to me either. I tried to avoid him for the most part in school. We still sat next to each other during music, but we didn't walk to home room or classes together anymore. It was killing me. I missed Martin. I wish I knew what he was thinking.

I snorted. He probably thought I was being over dramatic, I thought to myself. I drifted back off to sleep before any other thoughts crossed my mind. Like I said, I was exhausted. I turned my light out at 4am last night. I usually stay up late anyway, but on top of things, Martin was on my mind, and I just couldn't shake it. When it was about 3am, I got up to get a drink of water. I glanced out the window and down the street. Martin's light was on, too. I wondered if he couldn't sleep either. 

- - - - -

I woke up again. Only this time Nyla wasn't licking my face, nor was she even in the room. She must've gotten enough sleep and went downstairs. My clock on my nightstand now read 10:30am. I figured I should get up now. Midnight Mayhem had band practice in a couple hours and I wanted to make sure I was awake enough.

I pulled my hair back into a casual ponytail. I then slipped on some skinny jeans and my Pikachu t-shirt and headed downstairs.

I was greeted by my mother in the living room reading a book. "Hi honey. You're up earlier than you usualy are on a Saturday. Sleep ok?" She looked a little concerned. I think she heard me up at 4 last night. And knowing the whole thing that happened with me and Martin, maybe she's wondering if that had to do with it.

I nodded. "Yeah. I have band practice in a little bit, so I thought I'd grab a bite and maybe go for a walk."

"Ok," she responded. "Have fun!" 

I gobbled down a toaster strudel like it was my job. Mhmm. Blueberry, I thought. My favorite. I grabbed a water bottle and a clementine and headed out the door.

As I opened the door, I felt a rush of a comfortably cool breeze lunge at my face and body. I took a deep breath and sighed. It felt good to be up and out in the morning for once. The fresh air felt nice.

It was now late April. We'd be graduating within a few weeks, I could hardly believe it. As I walked down the driveway and onto the sidewalk, I frowned slightly. I wondered if Martin and I would have made up by then. I quickly put that thought down. Of course we will. This '"fight" isn't that serious to go on for that long. I sighed. I hoped it wasn't.

- - - - - - - -

I arrived at the park a good 10, 15 minutes later. I began to walk the trail when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I jumped back, startled to see Paul. He was wearing a tank (or what was a tank now; the sleeves were cut off) and some running shorts, along with his beat up sneakers. I wasn't too surprised to see him here. Paul likes to exercise daily, going on walks and jogs and such.

"Hey," he said.

I smiled, relieved it wasn't someone who would kidnap me. "Oh hey, what's up? Going for a jog?"