Chapter Eighteen

**Double A tap, down-C-stick, dodge**

We were smashing the buttons to the GameCube controller mercilessly. Suddenly, my character was kicked in the air and smacked down, sending Sheik flying off the screen. And that...was my last life.

"Game!" I heard the announcer to the game signify that a winner has been made. "And the winner is...Link!" it continued.

"Jerk," I snarled.

"Hey, don't be a poor loser," Martin was smirking at me from the side. "Besides, I always was the best at this game," he continued with a smug smirk as he stretched his fingers, cracking the knuckles. He put his hands behind his head, and leaned back in a gaming chair victoriously.

This gave me the perfect opportunity to smack his stomach, his hands pre-occupied, unable to stop me.

"Hey!"

"The best huh? Says this next tournament," I challenged him.

"Puh-lease," he began in a mocking tone while waving his hand femininely, "I could beat you any day."

"Wanna bet?" I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Your call."

"Hmm...How about this. Loser," I empathized 'loser' as I gestured to Martin,"takes the winner out to a restaurant or any food service of their choosing, and can't complain for the entire lunch."

"It's a bet," Martin said as we wrapped our pinkies together, making the bet official.

First round, 2 minutes into the game - aaaand Sheik goes flying off the screen again. Joy. I had already lost a life. My opponent was a level 9 CPU and had all five lives with hardly any damage. Martin was snickering the background, leaning back like he'd already won. I was definitely loosing my touch. I used to be able to meet these guys in my sleep. Fortunately, my game came back and I killed all his five lives within 3 minutes flat. 

Final round came. It was just me and Martin now, since we defeated all the other character's/CPUs.

Nearly 10 minutes later, the round had ended.

"Game! And the winner is...Sheik!

I cleared my throat loudly, "Ahem. You were saying?" I glanced over at Martin.

"Fine, fine," he chuckled, still slightly red from getting worked up over the intense game. My own face was warm as well and the palms of my hands were sweaty. "Where do you want to go?"

"SUBWAAAAYYY!" I yelled victoriously.

Martin chuckled to himself. "I thought for sure you'd say Outback."

Ok. Outback Steakhouse was, by far, my all time favorite restaurant. I mean it was a steakhouse for crying out loud. They have steak in the salads. Talk about heaven for this carnivore.

"Nah, Outback's too pricey." I'd feel too guilty if Martin took me there. Sure, it serves the best steak I've ever had, but I wouldn't want him spending so much money on me.

"Yeaah, Subway's a little lighter on my wallet," Martin mused.

We sat down in Subway with our subs, Martin across from me. It felt weird calling our sandwiches subs. I'm used to referring to them as grinders. Eh, maybe it's a New England thing.

Martin took a big bite from the side before speaking, mouth full, "So," he chewed a little. "Wanna head down to the park afterwards?"

I smiled after swallowing. "Sounds fantastic. It's been like forever since we've been to our tree."