Chapter Twenty-One

We were all in the bus, myself also out from the back, working on some music. It was the end of tour and things seemed to have been going well. I've managed to keep my thoughts busy on music. We had one more show to do, just one more before we could finally go home. It was now August and it felt like we've been living on this bus for forever. Not that I'm one to complain, I mean it is a pretty sweet bus. But nothing beats sleeping in my own bed and eating a home-cooked meal.

Everything seemed to be going alright...until we heard a knock on the door and in walked Brad Manson. I assumed he was going to wish us good luck or something, or give us more info on the record deal. Well, I was half right.

As he walked up the couple steps into the bus, we all turned to face him. He looked almost glum, and he wasn't wearing his usual smile. "I came by to wish you good luck, girls."

We just sat there, a little confused. Why did he come all the way out to Warped to wish us luck? There had to be more than just that. We hesitantly nodded and said 'thanks.' 

Taking another step forward he continued. "Also, I regret to say we will not be making a record deal."

"What?!" I stood up, almost yelling.

"What are you talking about?!" Katelyn joined.

"Why not?" Ashley now stood up.

"What happened to constantly telling us we've been doing great?" Mia exclaimed.

"Girls, girls - calm down," he began. "Midnight Mayhem is great, and the crowd obviously loves you." The four of us just stared at him, waiting for him to continue. "It's just that the label found another band that works better for us right now and we can only focus on one more band."

"So you're just dropping us?" I rolled my eyes. "Huh, typical..." I scoffed.

"I am truly sorry. Look, I'd love to work with you one day, but today's just not that day."

I shoved past him as I made my way to the back of the bus. I didn't wanna hear anything else he had to say. Almost as soon as I had left, I heard the bus door open and close again, probably signifying Brad leaving. Mia, Katelyn, and Ashley shortly after made their way to the back.

"What the hell was that?" I said as they entered.

"Yeah sure, wait 'til tour is almost over to reject us," Mia chorted to herself.

"This is bull," Ashley muttered.

Katelyn sighed and sat down with a thump right next to me. "So is this the end of Midnight Mayhem?"

"Hell no," Mia bursted. "Just cause one record company didn't want us doesn't mean others wont."

"Mia's got a point," Ashley backed her up. "Besides, he said we were good. And apparently good enough to come on Warped Tour."

"The crowd obviously loved us, too," I smirked. "We'll make it guys. We just gotta keep trying, praying, and hoping."

The rest of them smirked as the anger-filled room began to shift to hope.

-----

It was over. That was it. We just finished our last show and Warped Tour was now over. As sad as I was to leave, I felt satisfied. We had a good run. And next time, we're gonna be touring big time, with big bands other than at Warped. We'd show Brad Manson the mistake he made.

We packed up our things and headed for the bus. The drive back home was a little depressing, not gonna lie. We hardly spoke a word to each other the entire trip. The long hours of silence only forced me to think about everything I had pushed aside in order to focus on tour.