Promises Meant to Be Kept

~Back on Berk~

Eret sat on a bench in the mead hall feeling miserable. Just a few hours ago Kari had left Berk with her brother to meet up with Dagur so she could sail back with him to Berserker island. They barely shared a simple good bye when Hiccup yelled at his sister that they had to go.

"I should have told her sooner, why did I have to wait so long just to tell her three simple words?" He groaned, covering his face and laying his head down on the tabld.

"You okay?" He glanced up to see Bella standing in front of his table holding a plate of food.

"No I'm not okay." He said lowering his head again.

"Why are you not okay?" Bella asked seating herself from across him and pushing her plate to the side. "Is it my sister?"

"Yes."

"What about her? Miss her already?"

Eret lifted his head from the table and sat up straight. "I was going to tell her how I felt that night she said she was going to marry that......asshole."

"Dagur is not an asshole Eret, be nice to my soon-to-be  brother-in-law." Bella said making a face.

"Well that night I told him to respect Kari and to treat her well or I would kill him and make it look like an accident and he gave the two of the finger."

"Eret I had never met Dagur before and you, my mother and I have heard some bad things about him mostly from my older siblings, but when he came into our home that night he was so different from what I had heard about him." Bella said reaching across the table and placing her hand on Eret's hand. "I think if you got to know him a bit more you'd like him a bit more."

"Sure be friends with the guy who stuck his middle fingers up at me and is getting married to the girl I had a crush on."

"You know it's not too late to tell my sister how you feel. We'll be visiting Berserker island in a few weeks to check on the preparations for the wedding and to attend it so maybe you can tell her." Bella suggested. "And maybe you can try being friends with Dagur, just don't offend him in any way."

"Sometimes I wonder if I have the worst luck in the world." Eret sighed.

"You both just had bad timing." Bella pointed out. "And Kari does like you, the other night you kissed her hand she was talking out loud about whether you did like her more than a friend and she decided to tell you how she felt about you."

"Does she like me then?" Eret asked, perking up a bit.

"Obviously she does! She was just worried about how you felt about her." Bella chuckled. "You should really tell her how you feel about her when we see my sister again."

"But it won't chamge anything." Eret pointed out.

"It won't but you both can get this off your chest if you both talk about it."

Eret looked down at the table, wondering if Bella was right. Maybe if he did tell Kari how he felt and heard what she had to say it wouldn't change anything but it'd be good to get that feeling off his chest. The sooner he did that, the better.

"Alright, I'll tell her when we see her." He said looking up at Bella. "But don't tell anyone about this please?"

"I pinkie promise." Bella said with a firm nod and held her pinkie out.

"What does that mean?" Eret asked.

"A pinkie promise is something Kari and I came up with. You are not suppose to break this one. Ever." Bella explained. "You lock pinkies with someone and say you won't break the promise."

"What happens if you break it?" Eret asked locking his pinkie with hers.

"You don't wanna know, because even we don't know what happens if you break it." Bella said darkly. "So never break these promises."

"Umm...okay?" Eret said nervously and thought, I'm going to keep this promise, I will tell Kari how I feel about her. Might not change her mind about marrying Dagur but it'd be good to get it off my chest before they say their vows.