A Time To Be Afraid

"Everyone ready?" Heather asked the riders as they were saddling up.

"Almost." Snotlout said gesturing to Eret, who was talking to a sobbing Tormund. "Poor kid is having a meltdown at the moment."

"Don't go daddy! Please don't go!" The young boy sobbed and held his father tightly. "M-my first daddy went on a trip somewhere and n-never came back and the same happened with m-m-my first mommy too!"

"Hey it's okay, I promise I will be back." Eret assured him and scooped the boy up. "I'll only be gone a few days and I'll come back with your mum safe and sound. I'm going so I can find your mommy, your little brother wants her back home as well. Can you be a big boy for me and take care of him?"

Tormund wiped his nose and gave him a little nod before flinging his arms around Eret's neck.

"Please come back home daddy, and make sure mommy and her dragon are brought back too."

"I promise I'll bring them back Tormund, I promise." Eret whispered as he hugged him back. "And that's a promise I really want to keep this time."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There is is Striker, the weredragon prison." Kari whispered to her dragon as she examined the large cave that was being guarded by about thirty men.

<So how are we going to get in? Sneak attack? Hade among the supplies that are going into the cave?> Striker asked.

<Hold still.> Kari said turning around to unsaddle him. <You'll have to act like a weredragon.>

<Oh boy....> Striker muttered as he shook off the saddle. <Well at least you won't be going in alone for this.>

Kari quickly removed her clothes and placed them in the saddlebag and began to change. Changing into a dragon had became much easier and less painful when she wasn't on a cycle and worked best during a full moon. Once she was fully transformed, she made sure to hide their things in the bushes and motioned for Striker to follow her. When they got to the bottom of the hill, they hid themselves behind several bushes.

<Striker, if we don't make it out of here alive, I just want to tell you how grateful I am that you are my most loyal friend.> Kari said looking to her dragon and gave him a small smile. <It was an honor riding with you.>

<It was an honor riding with you as well Kari.> Striker replied and returned the smile. <May your gods be with us in this battle.>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We're getting close!" Eret yelled to the other riders as Skullcrusher snorted and pawed the air in excitement.

"It's kick-ass time!" Snotlout cheered.

Eret noticed Hiccup hanging back with Bella and her dragon and flew back towards them.

"Oi, what's the matter?" He asked them.

"I can't do this, I just can't!" Bella exclaimed and Star nodded hastily. "Oh gods what if she's hurt or even dead?!"

"Hey hey, it's alright. Your sister is fine." Eret assured her in a gentle tone, one he always heard Kari use with frightened dragons. "She'll be okay because we have her back. Try to be brave for your sister, she wants you to be brave."

"Can anyone be brave if they're afraid?" Bella asked him.

"That is the only time anyone can be brave. Anyone who isn't afraid in the midst of battle, is plain stupid." Eret replied. "We're all afraid right now, even Snotlout, so use your fear to help you be brave."