Protecting Our Own

"You miss daddy too huh?" Kari asked Stoick as she waved a pussy willow in her son's face to tickle his nose. Stoick gave a small giggle and sneezed loudly in response. Kari gave him a small smile and kissed his little feet.

It had been over a month since she left the Berserker tribe with Stoick to keep everyone including Dagur safe and came to a far away island. It had been a few days since her last cycle but she was pretty much as normal as she always was when she transformed- not including that first time after having Stoick.

'Note to self: don't have another baby until you are sure you could handle the pain of the cycle.' She thought as she scooped up her baby and walked to the cave where she and Stoick stayed.

She couldn't get the hurt look on her husband's face when she said goodbye to them all. It pained her so much and she couldn't get it out of her head.

Was he doing okay on his own? Had he found someone less dangerous than her? Was he missing them? Too many thoughts were going through her head as she sat down and lifted her tunic up to let Stoick feed. She watched her son as he suckled and wondered if Dagur missed Stoick more than he missed her.

As she was feeding, she didn't hear the sound of someone approaching her from behind. Then, she felt someone clamp their hand over her mouth and she gave a muffled scream. She felt Stoick release her and started to cry loudly as his mother nearly dropped him as she was yanked to her feet roughly.

"Let go of me you mulch eating troll!" She yelled, stomping on the intruder's foot.

"Shhh! Do you want Drago's men to hear you?" Kari gave a small gasp as she felt the intruder release her and turned her around.

"Eret?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"How did Drago know I'd be out here?" Kari asked as she stuffed another blanket into her bag.

"I don't know, I saw them here while I was out scouting for them and I heard them talking about finding you and taking you to Drago." Eret explained, putting Stoick in the small sling to his chest. "We have to head to Berk, you'll be safe there."

"No I can't go there!" Kari protested. "I'll endanger everyone there!"

"Kari, you have to." Eret said, placing a hand on her cheek and looked into her eyes. "Do it for him, do it for the safety and sake of your son."

Kari looked at Stoick who was nestled against Eret's chest with his thumb in his mouth and his free hand gripping the fur of Eret's vest. What would Drago do to her son who couldn't defend himself?

"Alright, but I won't stay for long." She sighed, giving in.

"You'll only leave when your cycle comes, won't be fore a while." Eret said, grabbing one of her satchels and walking out of the cave where the three dragons stood waiting. "And I know Hiccup won't mind, I'll explain it all to him."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kari listened to the screams of her brother, mother and friend argue from inside the house while she waited out on the steps with Toothless. The dragon wouldn't stop peering over her shoulder to get a look at Stoick, who was watching Toothless with wide green eyes.

<You can stop looking at him from over my shoulder Toothless.> Kari said adjusting the fur wrap around the baby.

Toothless warbled softly and walked over to where Stoick was. He sniffed the baby's soft red hair before giving him a small lick on the forehead. Stoick gurgle happily at what the dragon did, making Toothless smile.

<As long as I live, I'll keep him safe. Him and your brood's decedents will be under my protection.> He said, giving the baby a gummy smile. <We must protect our own.>

<Thank you Toothless, and thank you for everything.> Kari whispered, placing a hand under her friend's chin and pressing her forehead against his.