Chapter 23 - West

~TIANA JACOBS' POV~

I jumped up, screaming with Julianne as West took the football for a touchdown before getting tackled down by the o-liners from the opposing team.

The team got off his back, but he stayed down there. Everyone was buzzing about the touchdown, but I was already jumping over the railings separating the field and the spectators. Strong arms caught me and I struggled, but the person won't let me go, so, I looked up and I saw Max.

"What are you doing?" he asked me, surprised.

"West's down!" I yelled and he turned, his eyes widening.

We ran towards West and he was breathing heavily. "Coach!" Max yelled and got his attention. The team huddled around and I grabbed West's hand. "Move away, he needs air!" Max commanded and everyone immediately made space.

"West," I whispered and I saw his eyes moving under his closed lids.

"B-Baby panda," he whispered back and I heaved a sigh of relief.

"The medics are here, they'll take you," I said, letting go of his hand, but he started searching for it again, so, I grabbed hold of his hand. "Tell you what, you focus on breathing and I focus on hitting people to make way," I gave him a small smile.

"Deal," he breathed out and the medics took him.

He wouldn't let go of my hand, so, there I was, sitting next to his stretcher in the ambulance, calling Julianne to tell her where I was. The nurses told me to stay out of the emergency room and so, I sat down on the floor, my knees close to my chest.

"Tee!" someone called and I looked up to see Julianne. I gave her a little wave and she immediately sat next to me. She gave me a side hug and she gave me a questioning look.

"They're still in there," I informed her and she nodded. We sat in silence until I received a call from Blade, my ringtone breaking the silence. "Hello?" I answered.

"Which hospital are you in?" he asked and I heard car doors slamming simultaneously.

"We're in Mount E," I said and he said he'll be here in a bit. "Blade," I called out to him when I saw him running everywhere, people following him. His eyes zeroed in on me and he came to sit on my opposite side.

He gave me a full hug, which I returned, grateful for the warmth. He noticed this and he took his jacket off, making me wear it. "I didn't know why you ran off like that. I saw you jumping over the railings and heading straight for West," he informed me. "I didn't see you when they took West away, so, I thought you were back in the locker room or something, but Julianne called me a few minutes ago."

"Whenever Liam went straight for a touchdown and he's tackled down at the end zone, he'd be in so much pain, he'd be able to get up, but fall on his knees after a while," I told him softly. "That's why I knew West was out."

We sat in silence, the soccer team, who were also friends with West, sitting around us as well. A doctor came out of the Emergency Room two hours later and I immediately stood up.

"Miss Jacobs?" he asked and I nodded. "We've called his parents and filled them in and they are on the first flight back to the country. Mr. Tanner was knocked hard out there in the field today and he couldn't move because he couldn't breathe. We did further tests and we found out that he has leukemia. The cancer is a Stage One and he will go through with Chemotherapy." The doctor finished and my eyes widened.

"W-West has cancer?" I stammered out and he nodded.

"We'll be transferring him to his ward. It's on level four, room 1322," he informed us. "He's still unconscious, but he will be waking up any time soon." He eyed the group. "We can only allow five visitors at a time," he said and I nodded.