The Next Two Years

When I left New York, life changed. Me and Mum lived in a tiny flat in a place called Grays. I'm not going to lie, it was a trashy area. But the flat we lived in was lovely. I went to a school named Stifford Clays. I had quite a lot of friends, but they were nothing compared to Maya, Lucas, Zay or Riley... I couldn't contact them because I didn't have a phone in sixth grade. I felt bad... I had left them behind. I wondered how they were but my mum wouldn't ring Riley's parents at all. I wondered why...

Two years later, I'm now in eighth grade, or Year 8 as they say in England. And to this day... I still miss everyone...

"Farkle! Come here please, we need to talk!" Jennifer (my mum) said.

"Okay Mum! Just getting ready for school!" I said as I got ready. After about 10 minutes, I went downstairs and my mum was holding a letter. "What's that letter about?" I said as she holds two letters on in each hand.

"Well... one is about the house... one is about a new job oppor-"

"Another job opportunity?!" I shouted.

"Honey... wait, listen to me." She said as I sat down.

"Tell me the house one first."

"We have been evicted..."

"What?!"

"We have a week to get out the house, I haven't been paying the bills..." Jennifer said as she started to cry but then wiped her tears away in an instant. "But I have good news!"

"What?" I whispered.

"I got a letter from my old job back in NY... they want me back. We can go back to New York!" Mum said as I gasped. I ran to her and hugged her.

"Please can we go back! Oh, please! I need to see my Riley!!!" I said.

"Yeah we'll go, but we need to get a home back there..." my mum said as she went house searching on the computer.

{later on that day}

"Right so now I've bought the house over the phone, let's pack and go!" Jennifer said as we started packing. I was so excited. To see Riley, to see everyone!

{4 days later}

"Right let's go Farkle." Mum said as we got out the airport and we're back in NY! We drove to our home and unpacked. After we unpacked a bit, my mother got a phone call.

"Hello?" Jennifer said. "Topanga! Hi! How are you!" It was Riley's Mum. At this point, I'm nervous. "Yeah! Come over and also, bring Riley, Farkle has been going crazy about her the whole week!"

I can't believe my mother embarrassed me then.

"Mum!" I shouted as she laughed.

"Okay, Topanga. See you in about an hour." An hour. Oh god. Jennifer hung up. "Topanga and Riley are coming over for dinner, get ready, you can't wear a white vest if you're seeing Riley!" I agreed with Jennifer and ran upstairs and grabbed my best suit I had. I needed to impress Riley.

I put on my suit, done my hair (for once) and I practiced in the mirror of what I was going to say to Riley.

"Hey Riles! I've missed- No I can't say that... Hey Sunshine, I- No that's a childhood nickname, she won't remember that... Hey... Oh god..." Then I heard the doorbell go... oh shit... here we go...