Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

I walk in the grand door and come face to face with mum. What does she need now?

"You can't just walk out during meals, that's when the family comes together, Megan." she says. I hate it when she calls me Megan. Or if I'm really in trouble, which I always am to her even if I never actually did anything, Megan Elaine.

I roll my eyes and walk pass her. "Your not going anywhere tonight, Megan."

"Why not?" I say flatly as I walk up the stairs.

"Because we're having dinner with Rick and his daughters"

"I've plans." I say completely emotionless before getting in my room. she's pretty ticked off with me by now.

"With Emily's football coach again? Megan this is nonsense. You only met him for a week and now you're practically dating him."

"What?" I snapped completely surprised. "We're not even close to dating, mum." I say and turned away.

"Oh but you will get there. Tell me are you this desperate to get a boyfriend after all you've done in high school-"

"Would you shut up?! This has nothing to do with my mistakes in high school. I've moved passed that so stop bringing it up."

One thing my mum really does is shoving my mistakes, my biggest regrets and the years in my life where I was at my lowest points. She should just shove her words back in her mouth because she has no right to say that. She's experienced it too but I'm not like her that I get to move on quickly.

"You should know better, Megan. Ever since you've met that boy you're always out and about"

"It's not like he's causing any trouble. He's my friend mum. Probably my only friend after 5 years so you can't keep me away..."

She looked at me completely blank. That's the most dangerous look she's going for. She could explode any time.

"I'm going to unpack." I say casually to get rid of the tension. I'm as temperamental as she is.
I heard her scoff and shuffled out the door. I sighed and did what I told her. I started off with the biggest bag and put my clothes in the closet.

By noon time I lie on my stomach on the floor and surf on the net. Out of curiosity, I opened Facebook and searched for Louis' profile. The information he has are the usual. His birthday, the place he lives in. I scroll down to see the 'college' part.
It's blank.

I sigh and lied down in my bed. There aren't any covers yet. But I didn't bother getting some downstairs. Music's blasting out of my laptop. The familiar tune of P!nk's 'Crystal Ball' made my eyelids heavy.

My eyes opened when I heard a loud knock on my door. My vision's still blurry from my nap. I scratch my eyes and got up. I walked to the door like a zombie and twisted the knob.

"What? Who are you?" I say as I try to get my vision back. No good.

"It's Em?"

I blinked a few times and look down at my sister. "Hey, what's up?" I say still feeling a little exhausted from the nap.

"Mum's calling you down so we can go to dinner. She doesn't sound very... Happy, Meg. Did you guys fight again?" She asks.

I shrug. I suddenly got awakened when I realize Em said 'dinner'. I scrambled back to my bed and checked for the time.
7:30 PM?! I slept for almost 5 hours?

"Fuck!" I cursed loudly that I forgot Em was standing right there.

"You always seem to have a problem."she says and sits on my desk

"Oh god um... Do I look like I need a shower?" I ask her. She looks at me weirdly and shakes her head.

"I'll take one anyway..." I said and ran to my bathroom. I took a quick shower and dried my hair. By the time I was done, I scramble in my room in only a towel wrapped around me. Em hasn't left and she's going to get it when she sees mum downstairs.

"Why did you just rush to get a 6 minute shower?" She asks.

"I'm not joining you guys for dinner tonight, okay?" I tell her.

"Why not! Do you know what it's like to be there alone with.... Holly?! She's a .... a....." She closes her mouth and looks down.

"A bitch?" I said completing her sentence for her.

"A big one." She says with her eyes wide.

"I sort of figured that out." I said and winked at her. I opened my closet and pulled out the only shirt that can fit in with London at night. But it's too average but who cares.

I put my bra and underwear on then the shirt. It's a bit see-through but luckily my bra's skin tone anyway. It's not like my usual loose clothes. I got used to wearing baggy shirts that I get uncomfortable with tight clothes.

I pulled out my denim jeans and put it on. I tuck the shirt in and put a belt around my waist.

"Oooooh. You look like your going to have fun tonight... Where ya going?" Em asks walking up to me.

There's no use lying to Em. She'll find out eventually. "London." I say simply and put my sneakers on.

"You look surprisingly hot." She says nudging me on the side. I look down and saw her wriggling her eyebrows.

"Don't say that word." I scold her and messed with my hair.

I took my phone from the desk and shoved it in my pocket. "You have a nice ass, Meg."

I turn towards and scowl. "Language, Em..." I told her. I pushed her out of the room and locked it behind me. I slowly push her down the stairs. In the living room, every single person is dressed in fancy clothes readyfor a fancy dinner.

"Why are you wearing jeans, we're going to dinner!" She says. I knew this was coming.

I ignored her and walked out. I knew she would follow after me.

"Megan! Come back here!" She yells. I was taken back when she spun me around. "What is wrong with you? You think you can just walk out on us every now and then?"

"Who 'us' are you even talking about?" I ask her.

"Does it really matter, Megan? Have you no respect at all!" She shouts.

"I could care less about Rick and her daughters, have you thought about that?"

With that, her hand made an impact on my face. I heard gasps coming from the house only to see Holly's smug grin and Emily in total shock.

"Listen to me you ungrateful child," she hissed. "If it weren't for Rick we would have no where to go. You really think I want to move out without a reason? We haven't even lasted a day in our new home and your already acting like a spoiled brat!we're your family and you can't walk out whenever you can. This is your home now whether you like it or not " She shouts.

"That," I pointed at the house infront of me. "Is not my home. It's just a house, mum. It will never be my home. And them," I point at Rick and her two daughters. I don't actually have a problem with Karen, its her sister I can't stand. "They're not family." I say.

I heard a tire screech behind and saw Louis' car pulled over. I turned back to her to see her completely furious with me. Why else am I so furious with her? I just am! I can't keep living like this.

I turned back to the car and slid inside. She glared at me as Louis pulls out of our driveway.

"You and your mum okay?" He asks.

"No." I said simply.

I look out the window to see mum forcing Em in the car. She can force me to do anything she wants but she can't do that to Em! She should know better, Em is only 10! If she doesn't want em to turn against her she shouldn't have done that. Unfortunately Em isnt like me, shes not strong enough. I sigh as I see her face in tears as mum pushes her in the car.

My 'family' gets in the car and on their way to their dinner. I sighed and leaned on the car seat staring straight ahead. They can try to change me. They can try to make me one of them but that just won't happen.

My dad wouldn't want me to be like this. My dad wouldn't want mum to force us into something we don't wanna become.

And my dad wouldn't want mum to BE like this. Shes a broken woman who can't think clearly. She grabs every opportunity she has to forget about my father. She doesn't think straight about her choice. She's gotten selfish, desperate and cold.

She thinks she's doing what's best for us but when in fact shes only doing what's best for herself.