16. "Go. It's now or never."

Katie’s POV

I was sitting in a taxi, driving to the airport. I was looking through the window, watching the people walking along the streets. They looked so happy and full of life. Unlike me, who almost forgot how to breathe. Actually, I really didn’t care if I did at this point. I just don’t see the point anymore.

“Miss, why are you so sad?” the taxi driver asked me.

“I don’t have a reason to be happy.”

“You’re young, you should be saying you don’t have a reason to be sad. Don’t you think?”

“Umm…”

“And what is the cause behind your sadness?”

“I lost the person that means everything in the world to me.”

Talking to a stranger about my love problems always seemed pointless to me. But I think that at this point I was looking for comfort in anyone, it didn’t matter if I knew them or not.

“Did he leave you or did you leave him?”

“It was me.”

“And why did you do it?”

“To make everyone else happy.”

“And by doing that you hurt yourself and him.”

I nodded.

I fetched a tissue out of my purse and wiped away my tears.

“Do you think you did the right thing?”

“I love him.”

Five seconds later the taxi driver turned the car around and drove back to where we came from.

“What are you doing?” I asked him.

Who does he think he is? Now I’ll have to call another taxi, couldn’t I just keep quiet? If I didn’t talk about my problems we’d be at the airport by now.

“Your happiness is more important than what other people want. Remember this for your entire life! I’m old enough, I’ve been through some rough times in my life. I can tell you care about him very much. Don’t ruin your life because of others.”

My heart started racing like never before. It felt like it was about to burst out of my body.

“But I left. I can’t just come back now.”

“You can if you really want to.”

He started telling me about his life story that was very much like mine. Almost everything that happened to me, happened to him too. He stopped the taxi.

“Go. It’s now or never.”

“Thank you sir. I’ll never forget you. You really have a kind heart.”

“You’re welcome, miss. Good luck.”

“Thank you.”

I stood in front of the hotel, trying to gather some courage. I can’t do this. I can’t just come back. What will he think? I looked up at our hotel bedroom window. I saw Liam staring right at me. I immediately looked away. I was so nervous I started biting my fingernails. I can’t even describe how nervous I felt. He’s probably still looking at me. I can’t look back.

Liam’s POV

“Wait just a second Harry, I’ll be right back.”

“That’s okay, you don’t need to be here. I don’t want you to be miserable because of me.”

“I’ll be back.”

I went down to Katie, who was still standing in front of the hotel door.

“Katie, what are you doing?”

“As you can see, I’m not doing anything.”

“Why did you do this?”

“Don’t ask me that, everyone’s been asking me that.”

“Okay, I won’t.” I said and wiped away a tear that ran down her cheek with my hand. “May I at least ask you why did you come back?”

“He won’t want me anymore anyway. Won’t it be weird if I come back now?”

“Why didn’t you think like this sooner?”

“I had no one to talk to.”

“And why do you think I’m here?”

“I don’t know Liam. I’m totally confused.”

“Are you going back to your room?”

“I don’t think that would be appropriate.”

“Katie. Go, please. I know what you want. I know you can’t live without him.”

We went up to our floor together. We stopped in front of their bedroom door.

“Go Katie.” he said quietly.

“I don’t know.”

“Do as I say.”

I’ve never seen her like this. She was completely confused, nervous, tears on her cheeks and the list could go on.

“Just give me a minute. I must gather enough courage, although I think I won’t be able to.”