28. "What's his name?"

Harry’s POV

I immediately called Liam, who was helping me with Katie’s party. None of us knew what to do. Will she even return in the evening? What if she decides to sleep over at her mom’s till tomorrow?

After this, not successful solved situation, I called Katie to wish her a happy birthday. But telling her over the phone isn’t as good as telling her in person.

“Happy birthday Katie, I love you so much babe!" I said when she answered.

“Thank you Harry."

“When are you coming home?”

“I have a train back to London at around seven, why?”

“Just asking. I’m not sure why you left like that.”

“We’ll talk about it later, okay. I just arrived home.” She still sounded a little bit angry, for what happened yesterday.

“I love you Katie.”

Well this is a huge relief. Looks like all the preparations weren’t in vain after all.  Everything should work out just fine, time-wise. I just hope she won’t change her mind and stay there. That would be… terrible. I can’t even imagine telling all the guests that the birthday girl isn’t coming and that the party is off. And then everybody would ask me where she is. What would I answer? That she’s angry with me and that she went to her mother’s?

Katie’s POV

Seeing my mom again was the best thing that happened to me today. I really surprised her by just dropping in, unannounced, not even mentioning that I was coming.

“Katie, what brings you home?”

“I don’t know, I just felt like coming.” I said.

“I didn’t even get you anything for your birthday yet.”

“Oh, mom, you don’t need to. You’ve given me so much in life, I don’t know how I’ll ever repay you.”

She hugged me.

“Show me the ring.” she said and held my hand. “It’s so beautiful. But don’t you think it’s all a bit to early?”

“I love him.”

“And I also loved your father.”

I nodded.

I didn’t come here to reminiscent on the past. Each day I wish I could forget about what happened then, but I can’t. I think about it every night, before I fall asleep.

“This isn’t good.”

“Why?”

“What if it ends like it did with me and your father? What will you do then?”

I came here to spend a nice afternoon with you, not to listen to stories about what happened five years ago.

“Why can’t we simply let go of the past and live for today?” I said.

“You don’t understand. You’re too young.”

“But I’m 20 years old. I’m not a child anymore.”

She pulled back the curtains and looked through the window.

“A week after you were born, your father left me.”

“But you got divorced five years ago?”

“He wasn’t your father.”

I was staring at her with my mouth wide open. What is she talking about? What is she trying to tell me?

“Mom?”

“I’m sorry Katie. I didn’t want to put an even bigger burden on your shoulders. I know how badly you were hurt when your step father and I got divorced. You always thought of him as your real dad.”

“What are you talking about? Who is my father then?”

She went to her room and pulled a picture out of her dresser, it was hidden in at least six envelopes.

“Him.” she said and handed me the picture.

I took it in my hands and looked closer. It was my mom, him and me on the day I was born.

“This was today, exactly 20 years ago.” she said.

But… No! This can’t be!

“What’s his name?”

She sat down on the bed, without saying a word.

“Mom?”