27. "Don't ask."

Katie’s POV

Harry got up really early for an interview the boys had at some radio station. I was still lying in bed. After a while I thought it would be nice to do something useful and raise my lazy ass out of the warm bed. I got up and went to the kitchen. I decided to prepare a special lunch for Harry. I headed to the grocery store, where I got all the necessary ingredients.

When I had everything I got straight to work. First, I made a really nice soup and then I mixed all the ingredients for Harry’s favorite dessert. Then I started working on the main dish and even prepared a delicious salad in the end.

I just finished cooking. He said he’ll be back a little bit before two o’ clock. I set the table and decorated it nicely.

It was already three o’ clock and he was still nowhere to be seen. I don’t want to make a big deal out of it, but the food won’t taste as good if it’ll be just sitting there on the table. I decided to call him.

“Hey, where are you?”

“I’m sorry, I won’t be home until late in the evening.”

“Ok.” I answered shortly.

I was mad. Really mad. But not because he won’t be home all day, but because I prepared this nice lunch for him and he couldn’t even tell me that he won’t be home when he said he would be.

“Is something wrong?” he asked.

“No no.” I said, even though I was really angry at him.

“Good. Then I’ll see you tonight, okay?”

“Mhm.”

“I love you.”

We hung up. I put all this effort into cooking him lunch and it was all for nothing. I was so looking forward to surprising him. And then… he tells me he’s not coming. I’m really angry with him.

It got dark outside. I sat down on the couch and put on a movie. Sometimes I wish I had a girl friend I could hang out with on afternoons like this. I don’t even know what having a girl friend is like. I was always friends with only boys. It’s probably not that bad.

At the middle of the movie I heard the front door open.

“Hey.” Harry greeted me when he walked into the living room.

“Hey.” I greeted back, still watching the movie.

He walked over to me, bent down and kissed my neck. “How are you?”

“Are you hungry?”

“We just had dinner, so I’m not hungry. How are you?”

Looks like I really did all that cooking and baking for nothing.

“Don’t ask.” I said, getting a little bit angry.

“What happened?”

“Nothing.” I stood up from the couch and headed towards the bedroom. “I’m going to bed.”

“Katie?”

“We’ll talk tomorrow, I’m not in the mood right now.”

Harry’s POV

I had no idea what caused all of this. It’s true I wasn’t home all day and that I told her yesterday that I’ll be home in the afternoon, but…

I went to the kitchen to pour myself a glass of water. I noticed plates and cutlery nicely set on the table. I turned around to the stove and saw a pile of food that she probably cooked for me. She wanted to surprise me, but I didn’t show up. Now I really felt guilty, her anger was completely justified.

Katie’s POV

I woke up the next morning to the sound of my phone. I picked it up and read the text I just received.

Happy birthday Katie! I miss you so much, mom. xx

At that exact moment I decided to take a train and go see her. I haven’t seen her in about two months. Harry was still sleeping. I didn’t want to wake him. I wrote him a note and left. 

Harry’s POV

I woke up and immediately got out of bed. I’ve got a lot to do today. I ran out of time yesterday to arrange everything necessary for Katie’s birthday. I noticed that Katie already got up. I went to look for her in the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom, but she was nowhere to be seen. She probably went out for a run, I thought and returned back to the bedroom to get changed. I noticed a note on the mirror.

Harry!

I went to see my mom. I’ll be back sometime in the evening.

Damn. Why today? She didn’t tell me anything about going. What about my plans for tonight’s party? Aaaaaa, I’ll go mental.