17. "I promise."

Katie’s POV

I really love him and I can’t imagine my life without him. I just realized that he means more to me each day. Life without him doesn’t make any sense, but can I come back after all this? After I just left him without saying a word. After he wanted to ask me one last question but I pretended I didn’t hear him…

“I can’t do this.” I said and looked over at Liam, who motioned me to enter the room. “It’s not as easy as it seems, Liam.”

“I know you too well. I know he means the world to you. Do you really want to lose him forever?”

I shrugged.

“Go.” I could barely hear Liam demand.

I slowly reached for the doorknob and tried to open the door. But I just couldn’t gather enough courage to open it.

“I can’t.” I said again.

“What are you afraid of Katie?”

“Everything.”

“Oh please.”

He stepped closer and helped me open the door.

“Good luck.” he whispered.

I walked a few steps into the room and saw Harry on the bed. He was looking in the opposite direction, towards the window, so he didn’t see me.

“Liam, can you please step out for a moment. I’d like to be by myself for a while.”

I didn’t know where to start. Obviously he thinks Liam came back.

“I’m not Liam.” I said quietly, so quietly I could barely hear myself.

He turned around to face me. He looked completely desperate and his face was covered in tears. I’ve never seen him in a state like this. To tell you the truth, he looked awful.

We were staring at one another, waiting for one of us to say something. Silence. It felt like it lasted forever. Katie, it’s your turn to say something, I thought. I hated situations like this. Seriously! It felt extremely uncomfortable, like I was talking to a stranger. Well, to be honest, it’s easier to talk to someone you’ve never met before.

“I’m sorry.” I finally mustered enough courage to at least apologize.

Say something Harry, please. He turned away from me, so he was in the same position he was in when I entered the room.

Oh, why? Why did I even come back?

“Harry, I’m truly sorry.” I said again.

I didn’t receive a reply. Why did I listen to the taxi driver and Liam? Why? I should have known it’ll turn out like this. I hurt him. It’s completely logical that there’s no apology for this.

I turned around to leave when I finally heard his voice.

“Katie, I’ll forgive you under one condition.”

I stopped in my tracks. I once again didn’t know what to say. What was on his mind? He totally confused me.

“Which is…?”

He was still facing the other way. I could hear him sob.

“That you promise me that this will never happen again.”

I hate myself. I hate the decision I made to leave him.

“I promise.” I said.

He looked at me.

“Really?”

“Really Harry. I don’t know what was wrong with me. I don’t know why I did it. I can’t go on without you. Nothing makes sense without you.”

Oh shut up Katie. He probably doesn’t need you explaining nonsense to him right now.

“Oh, I’m sorry Harry, I’ll shut up. I’m talking nonsense again.”

“You can tell me whatever you want, I’ll listen. Please, don’t hide anything from me. I just want you to trust me.”

“I do trust you Harry.”

“And if you’re having problems, please tell me first, and we’ll try to work it out together.”

“I will.” I added and felt a tear run down my cheek. “I’d like to ask you one more thing.”

He nodded.

“Before I left, you were about to ask me something. Now I’m prepared to listen to your question and answer it.”

“Oh, it was nothing important, forget about it.”

I smiled a little. I noticed that his lips moved a little as well. He got up from the bed and walked over to me.

“Can I hug you?”

“You don’t have to ask.”

He placed his hands on my hips and pulled me so close to him that I almost lost my breath. His hugs are just so real. I don’t know how else I could describe them.

“Never again, right?” he whispered in my ear.

“I promised that to you. I mustn’t break my promise.”