Twenty Eight.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Two months later...(November)

"Given your recent injuries, I'm going to have to let you go Khari. Our team doctors teamed up with your doctors and there's no way you will be able to touch the hardwood again. We know that you came here to bring the city a championship, but that's not likely. I've looked at all the possible outcomes. We're willing to buy you out of your contract which is $57 million dollars. Any questions for me?"

Khari looked at the general manager with a blank expression. "You're gonna sign the paper so I can go?" He asked with a hint of agitation in his voice. Since all of his endorsers had let him go, he already expected the team to do the same. But, he wasn't gonna be down about it. He would just have to prove all the doubters wrong. He hired the best trainer in the world just last week and was anxious to start rehabbing since his wounds were almost healed.

Taken aback, the general manager just signed the dotted line and slid the contract across the table to Khari. Malia grabbed the papers, and skimmed through them. She wanted to make sure there wasn't any catches to Khari's buyout. Glancing briefly at him, she couldn't get a good read on how he was feeling. Maybe he didn't want to react in front of the man. She'd just have to wait and see.

Once she was satisfied with the details, she placed the papers in her briefcase and gave an ok signal to Khari. He didn't say anything, he just got up slowly as Malia grabbed his crutches. She helped him put on his forest green bomber jacket that went over his grey hoodie. Once he was situated, she turned to look at the man who had basically just fired her husband. "You'll regret this.. He's going to come back, and come back better than ever."

With that, they left out of the room leaving him to live with his decision. Neil and his security team escorted the both of them to the vehicle. Things had changed over the last two months. Neil went everywhere with them especially when it was big crowds. The shooter still wasn't caught so they wanted to be as safe as possible. Khari thought that he would down about his situation, but he wasn't. He felt like he had brought most of it on himself.

He just thank God for another chance, and he didn't plan on taking this one for granted. Khari didn't even look back when he got into the backseat of the truck. "You're ok?" Malia asked softly as Neil closed the door.

"I'm good." He looked at her with a small smile. "I just gotta lot doubters to prove wrong. That's motivation for me. I know I'a play again." He shrugged.

"That's the spirit. Kamari said he's going to train with you." She chuckled. "You have us, that's all that matters."

"I really appreciate it, Lia." He turned in his seat to look at her. "God knows I do. I wouldn't have even blamed you if you left after how I treated and embarrassed you. I know we still gotta long way to go, but I thank you for being here."

She waved him off, and flashed her ring. "For better or for worse. In sickness and health. We're still rich so." She shrugged causing Khari to laugh hard. It was something to hear because she hadn't heard his laugh in a long time. She looked ahead, and bit her lip. "How's Karmen and the baby?"

He licked his lips, clearing his throat and shrugged lightly. "Umm, she really haven't updated me since you looked in my phone. I gotta feelin' that this ain't gon' be pretty. I called, but she ain't ansa or returned my calls."

Malia shook her head. "I hate women like that. I'm not sure how she thought that she was going to replace me. Baby or not, she wasn't. I told her that."