Three

School is kicking my ass. Here's a chapter. Enjoy 😘

Later that afternoon

Khari buckled in Iman in his car seat, chuckling at the fact that he was already sleep. It didn't take Iman long to fall asleep in any setting. He would fall asleep during the drive to the store which is like two minutes away. Pulling himself out of the backseat, Khari closed the door and jogged over to the driver seat. He slipped in, closing the door behind him and cranking the engine.

"Seatbelt." Kamari reminded him while he focused on the game on Khari's phone.

"Clutch." Khari mumbled as he fastened his seatbelt. Pulling out of the parking lot, he turned on the radio. Khari's mind drifted back to the argument with Malia this morning. Running his hand down his face, he continued driving. He didn't like arguing with Malia because she would be mad for a minute. He knew he had to fix it. Khari glanced at Kamari who was really focused on the game. You could tell because he had his tongue hanging out of his mouth. "You think you'd like school here?" He asked.

Kamari nodded his head. "Yes. Fred and Xavier are gonna be at the same school so I'm happy." Khari nodded knowing he was telling the truth. Fred and Xavier were Kamari's Summer AAU basketball teammates. They had gotten real close over the last few summer breaks and it also made Khari's decision to leave New York that much easier. Khari didn't want to put a strain on his family. If they didn't give him the ok then he was going to stay in New York.

"Good. You like it here?" Khari asked, focusing back on the road.

"It's cool. I like being here with grandma, but I do miss Nana sometimes." Kamari responded as he placed the phone back in the cup holder. "The food good too."

Khari chuckled, nodding his head in agreement. "Well, you can see Nana whenever you want. You know she'd be on the next flight to see y'all."

Kamari nodded, understanding. "Is mom gonna leave?" He asked with his suddenly saddened voice. 

Khari lifted in eyebrow in confusion. "Leave? What you mean?"

Kamari shrugged his shoulders. "She was mad at you this morning. Y'all was yelling at each other."

Taking the exit, Khari shook his head no. "Nah, your mom not leaving. We just had a disagreement. When you married, that's what happens. You not gon always agree with each other so sometimes you argue. But, we good. Don't worry about it."

"Okay. Promise?" He looked at Khari with his big, brown eyes.

Khari looked over at him, nodding. "Yeah lil man, I promise." Kamari answered with nod, looking out the window. "I love you."

Kamari looked back at Khari with a smile on his face. "I love you too, Papa."

Khari smiled a little, ruffling through Khari's long, curly hair. He continued driving to the Popeyes so he could pick up lunch for Malia. He turned up the radio bobbing his head as Timmy Turner by Desiigner blasting in the car. Kamari was laughing his father singing along to the song and snapchatting it.