Chapter 34

He had gotten that call while he was working in the station with Barbara. Dick was at the point of losing his damn mind. Barbara was in the middle of tracking the location of the phone. It was his job to keep her talking. Although it was hard to hear her, she was mumbling. Tears were welling in his eyes. The phone was plugged into Barbara's computer. Everyone could hear what the girl was saying. "Zee you need to stay awake" he said running a hand through his hair. His heart ached so much knowing that she was in pain.

"How long until we know her location?!" he yelled as everyone jumped.

"I'm trying my best here Dick!" Barbara yelled back.

He continued to pace back and forth continuing to talk to Zatanna. She needed to stay awake if anything. "Dick....I know you can hear me. Just know that-that I love you and Mar'i so much" she said as he shook his head.

"No Zatanna don't say that!" he yelled slamming his hands down onto the desk.

There was a beeping noise before it faded. Then he heard a crashing noise over the phone before she screamed and the line went dead. "Please tell me we got a location before the line went dead, please" he said, fingernails digging into the table. Barbara didn't know what to say. "N-No" she said slowly as he began to shake his head. Tears falling from his eyes and hitting the desk. "We have a lead though. She must be under ground, the reception wouldn't have been as bad as it was otherwise" she said turning her chair.

Mar'i and Damian were left at the hospital with Stephanie when she arrived. Barbara came straight to the station to help as soon as the blonde arrived. Morning soon came as someone burst through the doors. "Miss are you alright?" there was a commotion going on out there. A knock was heard against the office door. Dick didn't move to get it. He had been sitting in the corner since they lost the call. Barbara let the officer into the office. She immediately recognized the girl as Megan, Dick's friend.

"Zatanna's missing so I came to help" she said before coughing.

"Are you okay?" Barbara asked wheeling over.

The red head was wheezing as she took a minute to catch her breath. He still didn't even acknowledge the new person in the room. Megan looked over at him frowning. "Is he okay?" she asked as Barbara shook her head.

"How can you help?" she asked as the girl nodded.

"I know some people" Megan said as Barbara nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mar'i was not taking this well and that was an understatement. She was taking it horribly. The Nurse's were lucky she hadn't broken anything yet. Damian covered his ears as she screamed again. Mar'i was having a full on meltdown. Stephanie was trying her hardest to calm her down as well. "Will you shut up you stupid girl!" he yelled as she turned around to face him. Anger swirling in her eyes as she stared at him.

"But-" he slapped her across the face.

For a moment the girl stared at him wide eyed. The whole room had gone silent. Stephanie's mouth was now hung open as she stared at him in disbelief. It didn't take long before she slapped him back. Except this one looked like it had hurt ten times as more. He mumbled something as he held the side of his face. "Daddy needs help finding Mommy" she said crossing her arms over her chest.

Damian rolled his eyes at her. Why did she act like such a child all of the time? "Why are you such a child?" he spat as she grinded her teeth together. There was an uneasy tension in the room. Stephanie was still in shock as to what happened moment's before. "Maybe I am childish and not like you! You-well you try to act like you aren't one but you are!" she yelled as he growled.