Chapter 53

The door burst open as she ran out into the street. Her boyfriend running up beside her. They stood there as people past by them on the sidewalk. Looking around she took a deep breath. The elevator was too slow so they ran down the stairwell. "This way come on" she said before dashing down the sidewalk. At the moment she was barely thinking. All she could focus on was if Zatanna was alive of not.

A part of her had hope that maybe she was. But another part of her was telling her to not believe it. This was all media and the news half of the time wasn't even true. She was suddenly tugged back. Her back slamming into her boyfriend's chest. A car went speeding by rather quickly. She took a sharp intake of breath. "Artemis what the hell! You could have died right there!" he yelled holding onto her tightly.

Adrenaline was pumping through her veins. Thinking about things like that were not even on her mind. Luckily he was there to grab her in time. "Thanks" she breathed out as he reluctantly let her go. The light changed and immediately she ran across the crosswalk. They arrived at the apartment building. Its shadow casted over them as they both stared up at it.

Running inside she didn't even bother to even go to the elevator. Instead she pushed the stairwell door open. Staring up she looked at the flights of stairs heading up. "Babe really can't we take the elevator?" Wally asked whilst panting.

"No. She could be alive, she could be up there right now" she said before running up the steps.

Reluctantly he followed. Each step making his legs burn from the amount of running. He was a track star but this was a lot. She gulped, raising her hand before pounding on the door. "Grayson open up!" she yelled continuing to pound on the door. Wally grabbed her hand before she could knock again. "Artemis take a breath okay" he said.

Her face flushed red with anger. How could he say that. "Wally I don't have time to take a breath. The girl that I consider one of my sister's could be alive. So I'm not going to take a fricken breath!" she yelled just as the door opened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since she arrived back she's been lying in bed. In fact Dick didn't even let her walk. He carried her there and made her lie down. Harley and Melody were going to stay for a few day's. After all they did save her and they didn't really have a place to go. That stingy motel was not an option to go back to. It was early, her eyes still closed.

The sun was still rising but she couldn't tell. The curtains were closed obstructing any light from coming into the room. Rolling over she snuggled into he blankets. Ever since she got into the bed she wrapped herself up like a burrito. It was actually quite comfortable. Her lips still tingled from that kiss earlier. To hear him say 'I love you' made her heart nearly stop.

It had been a long time since she's heard him say that. Down the hall Melody stayed in Mar'i's room. After all there was a spare bed since she was in Dick's room. Harley was camping out on the couch in the living room. The weight on the bed shifted causing her eyes to open. Reaching forward she grabbed onto his wrist. Holding it tightly and giving him an anxious look.

He looked down at her. A soft smile appearing on his face. "Zee I'm just going to see who's at the door. I'll be right back" he whispered before leaning down and kissing her forehead. Reluctantly she let go of his wrist and snuggled back into the blankets. In the background she could hear someone yelling. Almost immediately she was up on her feet. Fear coursing through her body.

At first she thought he was here to take her away. What if he found out she was alive? Her footsteps were light against the hardwood as she creeped down the hallway. Light spilled into the hallway from the living room. Down the hall she could see Mar'i poking her head out of her bedroom. "Artemis calm down!" she heard Dick yell.

Relief washed over her as she leaned back against the wall. It was only Artemis and what sounded like Wally. Wait, it was Artemis and Wally. Stepping into the living room she watched the three of them arguing. Glancing over she saw Harley curled up on the couch. Zatanna didn't know how she was able to sleep through all of this noise. Then again maybe she didn't want to know.

She watched them all argue for a minute. They didn't even seem to notice she. That was until she cleared her voice. All three of them stopped mid-sentence. Artemis and her made eye contact. It was like seeing a long lost sister for the first time after some years. "Oh my god Zee" she said running over. A pair of arms wrapped around her. Zatanna bit back a pained hiss.

After all she still wasn't fully healed. Later today she was going to the hospital to get properly check out. "I thought you were dead" the blonde cried out. Tears formed in her blue eyes as she hugged her back. Their breaths were shaky as they tried to stop crying. "No matter what anyone says even if we're not blood related you'll always be my little sister" Artemis said wiping her tears with the back of her hands.

"Just like you'll always be my big sister" she said with a smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was odd to wake up to all of this yelling. The shouting startled the girl awake. Sitting up she rubbed her eyes. Looking over to see the blonde girl still fast asleep. Mar'i didn't know how she could stay asleep through this. Her feet dragged across the floor as she poked her head out of her bedroom. Down the hallway she could see her mother.

A small smile came to her face. She was glad that this wasn't a dream this time. It sounded like her father arguing with a woman and another man. It all went silent when she watched her mother enter the living room. Someone yawned as she turned around. Shutting the bedroom door behind her and shuffling back over to her bed. For the most part the bedroom was pitch black.

With the exception of a few lines of light seeping in through the corners of the curtains. "Is it time to wake up already?" she heard the girl say. Mar'i didn't get to speak with the girl earlier. All she knew was that her name was Melody and that she would be staying here for a few day's. "No, I just heard a noise" Mar'i answered before yawning.

"Oh" Melody answered before turning over in her bed.

"How old are you Melody?" she asked curiously.

"Nine" the girl answered.

"Do you think we can be friends?" Mar'i asked curiously.

If it wasn't so dark than Mar'i would be able to see the happiness in the girl's eyes. All she ever wanted was a friend. "Yes. When its time to wake up we should play dress up" Melody said.

"And draw a mustache and put makeup on my dad when he's sleeping" Mar'i added with a giggle.

"Can we be best friends instead?" she asked.

"Yes, yes we can" Mar'i said while grinning like an idiot.

A/N: Another quick question. What should I title the next book when that happens? It won't be for awhile but it seems that a lot of you want another with their kids. Suggestions would be helpful so I can start planning ahead.

Skycrystal23 ;)