Chapter 28 - Withdrawal

I grin, playing with Theo on the couch until my hands start to shake. Not just a slight tremble, but a full on shake that shook my arm and my whole body.

Chris gives me a look. "Katie, are you okay?"

Niall came back from the kitchen. His eyes get big and he rushes to my side. "Katie, did you drink anything on the plane?" he sits beside me.

"What? No," I laugh nervously. He wouldn't let me drink anything the flight attendant offered. He gives me a look, "Fine. I got something from the flight attendant and drank it in the bathroom," I look down in shame.

"Dammit, Katie," he groans. "You know what happens."

"AND YOU KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME!" I shriek, pushing my hair back out of my face. I laugh, as tears brim in my eyes.

"What's wrong?" Maura asks, coming into the room.

"Katie has Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome and she snuck a drink on the plane," Niall sighs.

"Katie, you can't do that if you want to get better," she sighs, picking up Theo.

"I do! But you don't know how hard it is," I hide my face in my hands. Niall pries them away. He was crouched down in front of me. His face was concerned.

"Don't cry. I'm going to help you," he turns to Maura, "Can you get her some water, please?" She smiles and nods. She sets Theo in Chris' lap before leaving the room.

I shake furiously, only for Niall to scoop me up and set me on his lap. He rocks us back and forth, trying to calm me down as I have an anxiety attack.

"I'm never going to get better!" I cry. He kisses my forehead.

"Yes, you are if I have anything to do with it," he tells me, holding me to him.

My breathing was rapid. I couldn't sit still with all of the shaking. Sweat was dripping down my forehead, soaking the arm of his tshirt. I squeeze my eyes shut.

"Here, hun," Maura says softly. I open my eyes.

Niall takes the glass from her, I hold it, dribbling a bit on me as I sip, Niall trying to help.

The water helped a lot, but I continued to tremble, in apprehension.

Niall purses his lips, "C'mon," he kisses my nose. He picks me up bridal style and carries me to his old room.

I'm laid across his bed. "Just go to sleep and when you wake up, you'll be alright," Niall's lips brush my forehead. Immediately, I grab his arm.

"D-don't leave me. Please-please don't leave me." My face rests against his neck as I pull him down. He bites his lip and pulls away. Shocked, I look at him. Tears trailing down my cheeks.

He was leaving me?

But he doesn't. He pulls his shirt over his head and then unbuttons his pants. Clad in only boxers, he helps me so that I'm left in a tanktop with my shorts, my shoes now in the floor. He cuddles up with me under the thick blanket.

"I'll never leave you," he whispers, pecking my lips. I cling to him, afraid to lose him. My mouth finds his again. I desperately kiss him. He smiles, breaking away. A chuckle passes his lips. "Slow down. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere," he assures. Then he leans in again, his arms wrapped tightly around my waist. His lips touch mine as he gives me a slow, passionate kiss. He tasted so sweet. His hands rubbed circles into my back as his tongue rolled over mine. My hands fisted up his hair, finally steady.

I don't know why. He's always been able to calm me down when no one else could. He just.... I don't know. It was a sense of comfort, I guess.

Slowly, he withdraws, noticing something.