Turning of Time: Chapter 44

I woke up coughing. It was darker in our room than when I had gone to bed, and my eyes stung as I opened them. I heard Avacyn stir, woken by my loud coughing as well. She shot straight up in bed.

"Sara! Are you there?" I heard a thump as she fell out of bed in her haste. I became aware of a quieter sound as well, a faint crackling coming from the other side of the door. It seemed the blackness came billowing from underneath the door.

"Avacyn? What's going on, where are you?" There was a sudden pressure on my wrist. I was pulled off my bed, hitting the ground hard. "ow!"

"Sara! You're ok, thank goodness. We have to get out of the house, now." Avacyn was crouching over me. She tugged on my wrist again and I got up to my knees. Confused as I was I started to crawl after her towards the doorway.

We got there and I saw her pause a moment before opening the door. The thick black smoke was thicker now. I finally identified it as such after I remembered the oak scent. We continued to crawl on hands and knees, as pa had taught us when I was old enough to understand. I heard shouts from the lower floor.

"Sara, Avacyn!" It was our father.

"No! You can't go back up there!" A voice shouted. Mother.

"They're our daughters! I'm not losing them without a fight!"

"Wait!" It was futile it seemed as there was a pounding on the steps.

Our father became a dim figure as he approached us, shouting our names. Avacyn called out and he finally located us, scooping us up and running down the stairs. There was a groan and the stairs gave out, along with the top floor. With the help of gravity we went crashing down to the first floor, which was still mostly intact. Our mothers scream split the air, a scream of worry and fear.

Disregarding the fire she came through the burning rubble. I was trapped under father. Avacyn had flown from his grasp, being knocked down by one of the support beams crashing upon her. We both struggled, Avacyn to get free and I to wake our father. A board lay across my father's back and I struggled to get out from underneath both. I managed though and began shaking him, my protector. Avacyn was wailing now, trying to get free from the unyielding beam.

Suddenly our mother appeared through the smoke and flames. With superhuman strength I didn't know she had, she hefted the beam off of my sister. Avacyn quickly cleared the beam, and after she had my mother saw this and let the beam fall. Burns graced her palms now, but she ignored them. Crossing quickly to me she took in the scene that I was a part of. I still shook father, but as she looked on tears welled in her eyes and she scooped me from his form.

She set me and Avacyn down once we were clear of the rubble and we ran. Our mother trailed behind us, making sure we were fine. Avacyn and I had cleared a doorway when it finally gave in and collapsed. I turned and started to try making a hole for our mother.

"Sara, it's fine! She'll find a way out, but we need to get out as well." Avacyn tugged on my arm for what seemed like years. Eventually she got me to move. She had promised mother would get out, but it was the kitchen, and that had been the only exit.

When we finally reached the doorway, it seemed like we had been in that fire for a decade. The fire continued to eat away the walls around us, and there was a sudden flare. The wind had chosen that precise moment to blow, feeding the fire and intensifying it. I cried out in fright as the fire continued to ferociously eat the only home I had known. I dropped to my knees and wouldn't move from my spot.

"Sara, we have to go! It's only five feet, we can make it out. You don't need to be afraid much longer!" Avacyn shouted over the roar of the ferocious beast surrounding us. I looked up, seeing courage in her pleading eyes. I shakily got to my feet and with Avacyn pulling on my wrist we continued out.