Turning of Time: Chapter 39

__Sara Pov__

My hand was trembling.

I looked at the forest that stretched and reached before us, spreading out like the claws of death itself. As I continued to stare a vague feeling of familiarity came over me. There was a slight pressure on my shoulder. I turned my gaze upon my teammate, Ryota, who for once wasn't trying to flirt. He had actually come to comfort me.

"We'll be alright Sara," Takeo spoke from behind my other shoulder.

"Right. I know that." It wasn't quite what I was worried about, but there was no need for them to know that. I drifted off as Anko started to talk, my mind wandering.

_Flashback_

I strolled down the path that looked like someone had aggresively hacked at it, beating the forest back. There was no need to worry right now, there was protection on this path, to keep whatever the forest held at bay. This path lead to my future.

Where was I headed? I couldn't tell you exactly. Perhaps its better to say I'm not allowed to tell you, but thats a small detail. All I can say is that it's a small clearing, containing my master's cabin. With my approach there was a steady thrum of a bow and the whack of arrows hitting the target.

Thrum. Whack, thrum. Whack, thrum.

It was a steady sound, and by the time you heard the deep sound of the arrow embedding itself there was already the thrum of a second arrow leaving the bow. Each shot had no more than a seconds lapse in time before the next was on its way. There was only one person I knew that could shoot that fast.

Being taught from someone of my master's skill was no more than incredible. The fact she had taken me on as a pupil was a complete surprise me. Not only was her speed amazing, but her accuracy was dead on. If challenged, I bet she could shoot a bird out of the sky from a distance of 200 yards.

Finally I approached the ending of the path, heading to the bright light that signaled the end of the canopy of trees. Suddenly, a shout of surprise sounded off, only to be cut off immediately. Never a good sign. I dashed off, hurrying to the clearing where I spent hours each day practicing.

I was into the clearing, and blinded by the light.

"Hey!"

_-_

"Hey! Earth to Sara!" everything came into focus with a quick slap across the face.

Ryota stood directly in front of me. It was overly apparent he had been shaking me back and forth before this. I blinked a few times. His hand was still raised in the position it had stopped from the path it took across my face.

"There are nicer ways to wake someone aside from slapping them," I remarked, staring my teammate straight in the eyes.

"Well, when one doesn't respond to those methods I go to slapping." Ryota released my shoulder and crossed his arms. He huffed a little and looked away.

Takeo tapped my shoulder, so I turned to him.

"There is also the fact that you were just standing there staring off. You stayed like that for several minutes. You can't blame us for worrying when we couldn't get your attention no matter what we did."

I stayed silent for a few minutes. "Fair point," I grudgingly admitted.

"Now on to what we are going to do in there," Takeo prodded. That finally snapped me from my reverie completely.

I turned to regard our next challenge, the forest of death. Definately not a walk in the park. Who knows what the trees and bushes held within their fold, what festered in the dark and damp enviornment. We would have to worry about more than other teams. They had already gone over the rules and Takeo filled me in on what had happened. I started formulating plans immediately.