Turning of Time: Chapter 47

I walked down the path to the cabin in the clearing. It had been a year and a half since I had come to the clearing. I was begining to take over the roles from Lavonia and was coming back from a mission to stop an uprising. The dense green forest surrounding me was silent, as a killer would be. Hidden in its depths were monsters so terrifying that they couldn't be properly put into words. Lavonia had tossed me into the forest for a week as a training exersize, and one week was enough for me.

I heard the steady thrum of her bow. She must have been practicing her bow work. It was rare of her to do, but she herself had said she needed to stay in practice. There was a steady thrum and whack pattern that was all to familiar.

I was almost at the clearing when I heard a scream that was immediately cut off. The only person that could be in the clearing was Lavonia, and the immediate cut off was never a good sign. I began running down the path, blinded by light when I got to the clearing. The sight I saw wasn't happy.

Men ringed the woods at the end of the archery range she had set up for me. She hadn't been practicing her aim though. A good dozen men lay dead on the ground, though far too many were still standing. Lavonia herself was on the ground. All the men held a bow, swords at their waist. Arrows stuck in the ground around her, and her body itself. Without even feeling for a pulse, I knew she was dead. There were at least a dozen arrows lodged into various places on her body, too many for her to have been able to dodge.

I backed away, prepared to run, but behind me was a solid, fleshy wall. Looking up I saw a man at least twice my height. I reached for my daggers, but he fastened my arms behind me before I could get a hold on the hilts.

"Looks like we caught the little apprentice murderer as well." The man chuckled at his own wit, along with a few of the men closer to us. They marched me down the path in the woods. They had never looked as sinister as they did now, but it didn't seem like I would be escaping anytime soon.

We arrived at the grand castle that housed the king and his many attendents, servants, and advisors. I was taken to the dungeon, the lowest level in the castle. They chained me to the wall, ensuring I wouldn't be able to escape. I had been stripped of my weapons and most of my clothes. All I wore now was a thin white shift.

I sat there for a long time, but I couldn't tell you exact days. Eventually the man who had caught me graced me with his presence.

"Hello there dearie, maybe now that you've been here you'll be willing to give me some information. Let's start with something easy, what's your name?"

I looked him dead in the eye before answering, "Quis scit, servus basilicus?"

He smacked me. "Don't you dare use the ancient language. It's tainted by killers and commoners like you."

I spat a little blood out of my mouth. A normal slap wouldn't have led to bleeding, but he still wore his iron gauntlets. I glared at him steadily.

"I'll ask again, girl, what's your name?" I simply glared. If he didn't want me using the tounge of the ancients, then I wouldn't speak at all. "Speak girl. It will be far better if you do." Blood still welled in my mouth from my bleeding cheek, so I simply spat it into his eyes. He kicked me harshly in the stomach and I coughed a little, winded.

"Monster."

"What was that girl? Your name? Such mean parents to call you a monster."

"No. You're the monster here."

"Such a brute of a girl. Why don't you just give in and tell me? I'll give you some water." He tried to bribe. I wasn't given water in my stay here, probably to set up for this moment.