7. Goodbye My Lover

Part – 7

"It's Not The Goodbye That Hurts, But The Flashback That Follows"  

Karthik's POV

Mithra & I descend from the stairs, Mithra holding my arm, smiling & looking so beautiful in her black net saree. I picked this saree especially for her knowing black will compliment her pale glowing skin. She initially refused to wear saree saying she finds it hard to manage but I insisted her to wear this saree for me as I have seen her in saree only once that was on our wedding day & I know she will do this for me & see, here she is decked up so beautifully & elegantly in this black saree, with little make up on her face, her lush black her is swept to her right side shoulder & its streaming down over her breast like a river. I am dressed in white shirt & black suit pants and I know we both look perfect. Perfect? I smirk at the word.

"You look beautiful, baby" I whisper to Mithra standing at the last step of the stairs.

"So you do, Karthik" she beams at me. My heart skips a beat seeing her smile. Do I still have a heart?

We are at our parents place. All Mithra's and my family & friends are gathered here. How they will not be? It's an important day of our life right? The day which changed our fate... and changed... Our lives! Yeah! It's our wedding anniversary. It seems like only yesterday we got married but now we are here celebrating our first wedding anniversary. One year over. Yeah...Over...Everything!

"You both look lovely. Stay blessed" My mom blesses me & Mithra. I hug mom. This closeness feels good. I need it. Then we take Mano uncle & Padmini aunty's blessings.

"Karthik... all are waiting for you two only. Shall we start?" Dad asks with a smile. I look at Mithra, she is also smiling... God! All are smiling happily. Except me? I nod at dad. He signals something to someone standing behind me. I turn to see Patil, our servant bringing a huge cake for us to cut & celebrate the day.

Mithra & I walk to the center stage where the cake is placed now on the table. Black forest! Mithra loves it.

I pass the knife to Mithra but she holds my hand insisting we cut the cake together. I pull my lips up as if I'm smiling & we both cut the cake hearing claps & wishes around us.

Mithra feeds me the cake first. Surprising! Then I feed her. Soon Mithra & I are dragged to the dance floor by my friends forcing us to dance. We both sway to the music, my hands gently placed around her petite waist & hers encircled around my neck. We both dance looking into each other's eyes and I pull her little closer to get a fix of her calming sweet scent. Later when the music ends I let Mithra go from my hold & let her join with the ladies circle & I join my friends.

"Congrats, dude" Sanjeev wishes me & hugs me slapping on my back in a friendly way he often does.

"You look different" Deepa studies my face. "You look... I don't know but I don't find happiness in your face." girls have this uncanny knack to read guys facial expression. Only Mithra is an exception in this matter.

"I am happy, Deeps. It's my first wedding anniversary, so obviously I should feel happy right?" I try to reassure her

"Then where the hell is your smile which will make girls go crazy?" she asks me.

"I am nervous" I confess.

"Why?" Ria ask me confused.

"I... I am gonna confess my love to Mithra" I let them know first.

"Finally" Rahul sighs.

"You took forever, dude" Sanjeev chuckles

"So are you going to go down on your knee & propose?" Sanjeev asks me curiously. This guy needs every minute detail.