Chapter 14

Carly's POV

I walk down the stairs of my house, going to make myself some toast. It surprises me when I see someone already making my toast.

"Morning honey, made you some toast" My mother pulls the toast out of the toaster, putting it on a plate.

"Mom, what are you doing home?" I ask her. I haven't seen my mom in weeks. She's been working extra ever since my dad died. We're kinda struggling with money.

"I uh, I got fired last night" He breathes heavily as she smears peanut butter on the toast.

My eyes widen, "What?"

"It's not a big deal. I can just- get a part time job. We can spend more time together!" She cheers as she passes me the toast.

"Mom what about money?" I take a bite.

"That's not your job to worry about" She walks around the counter, kissing the top of my head.

"Have a good day. Love you baby!" She marches down the hallway.

"Love you too" I mutter, picking up my toast and walking through the door.
~~

I walk into the coffee shop, met with half the population of Lakewood. It was very crowded.

As I approach the front desk, I am met with a smiley Eli. I smile back as I step up to order.

"Hey Eli. How are you?" I ask politely.

Before he has a chance to answer, I feel a pair of hands on my shoulders. Noah towers above me and is smiling. I peck his lips before greeting Audrey.

"If you're looking for Emma, she traded the early shift with me. Last minute, and I'm so not mad."  Eli chuckles.

"Not looking for Emma." Audrey pouts. I assume she's nervous to approach Emma after what she revealed last night.

"Uh, we're looking for caffeine and baked things at the moment" Noah smirks.

I look over to the corner to see Zoe smiling wildly at me. I furrow my brows, but smile and wave.

"Hey. There's a seat open on the couch. Get us our usual will ya?" Noah asks Audrey, pulling me along. I see Audrey nod before I am jogging at Noah's walking speed. His legs are a lot longer than mine.

Not even the minute we sit on the couch, Zoe approaches us.

"Hey, you!" She grins.

"Oh, hey Zoe." I mutter.

"Hey! How are you?" Noah stands up to talk to her.

"I'm great, Normal actually. But I'm glad to see you. You guys" She quickly adds at the end, and I raise my eyebrows.

Zoe then asks Noah to study with her, and he turns sharply to look at me. I give him a look as he turns back around.

"Hey Zoe" Audrey comes to save the day.

"Audrey" Zoe rolls her eyes as Audrey plops down next to me.

"So what do you say? One-ish?" Zoe smiles up at Noah.

"Uh- I was actually going to study with Carly for that test later. You're welcome to join us if you want?" Noah suggests, making Audrey scoff.

Zoe hesitates for a while, "sounds great. I'll pick you guys up"

"Great. Bye" Noah sits next to me as Zoe walks out of the coffee shop.

"This is going to be the most awkward study session ever. I wish you luck, Carly" Audrey laughs.