Chapter 37

Melody's POV

One thing caught my eye all day. And it wasn't how Bailey cannot apparently appropriately dress herself. It was that Brayden was acting totally off.

When the last bell rings I run to the entrance to the school and see Bray Bray staring at Andrew, Jayden, and Bae all laughing happily. I don't even say his name before grabbing the cuff of his jacket before dragging him to the library.

"What the hell!" Brayden yells at me as soon as the dusty books surround us.

"Alright, spill," I snap at the curly haired boy.

"What do you mean," his voice not at all convincing.

"Brayden," I warn.

"Fine," he yells, "What does she see in them? They kidnapped her, Mel! I can't stand by and watch her get hurt again. She can't... She... "

"Brayden, what is going on?" I sigh and pull him to sit down next to me.

"I love her, Mel. I'm in love with her. Not the way she is with me. She sees me as a stupid older brother or something, but I can't get her off my mind." My mind processes the words that were thrown at me. "Oh please!" He yells at me. "Don't tell me you didn't notice this." His voice is beyond angry now.

"I... I didn't realise." I mumble.

"That's the thing, Mel. You two girls are always in lala land and leave all of us here so you never  'realise'!" His voice breaks.

"Why don't you tell her?" My voice is soft and soothing.

"Every time I tell her I love her I do. She just takes it differently."

"I'm gonna help you win my best friend." I blurt.

"You will?" Brayden questions.

"I will."

-_-_-_-1143 5219-_-_-_-

My hair pulled back in a French braid reaches mid back. My camouflage outfit covers the brown locks, mostly.

"You just needed to go all out didn't you?" Brayden rolls his eyes at my buckets of spy gear.

"I need to be prepared!" I defend myself. "Besides, I don't think you left anything to chance either!" I tease the boxes of chocolates, flowers, stuffed bears, and the tux. His face goes a deep red.

"She loves these things," he tries, but I still know that he's so nervous.

"Whatever," I roll my eyes playfully, "She's at the docks now. I told her to go there so she should be alone. Maybe." My mind begins to fill with problems with the plan, but I push them away. I look around the corner and spot Bae. "Down!" I whisper yell and both of us drop to the ground. "Okay, you re-" I get cut off by the sight of Jayden running up to Bae and kissing her briefly.

"You ready?" He asks.

"Just a second. Melody told me to meet her here so when she shows we can go." Bae glances around for me. I glance over to see Brayden's eyes broken. He slowly gets up and walks to his car before driving off. Not even one word. I start towards the apparent couple, fists clenched and face probably seathing. "Hey," Bailey stops at seeing my appearance.

"What is wrong with you?" I yell. "He was right! We never realise anything." I start ranting about her being oblivious.

"Mel!" She yells, stopping me. "What is wrong?" She sighs.

"What isn't with this situation?" I question.

"A lot of things."

"I can't believe you would do this to Brayden. To me." I yell before spinning on my heel.

"What is so wrong with this?" Bae yells.

My phone rings and I slide it out to answer it.

"Yes officer?" My voice comes out hoarse and broken, again.

"I called to inform you that this Jayden Rider is respo-"

"Thanks officer." I spin around to see Bailey glaring at me. "You want to know what's so perfect with little buster over there?" Jayden starts getting more and more nervous. My voice is gone but I manage to get out a couple words. "He killed my brother." I turn and run. I run until my lungs are burning and my sides hurt. I want to punch something, maybe everything. I yell. Scream at the world, at my life. I'm not even the one who is supposed to be angry. Brayden has all the rights. When did everything become so broken? Complicated?

When did we become Panicked Wallflowers?